Is this a really large Geode ? Please help

M_v_P

• New Members

Hey beautiful people that knows more than me about rocks, my friend was digging for e septic whole and around 6 meters deep they hit a large rock. The place is high in the mountain and the mountain is a volcano that hasn't been active in a long time. It is located in eastern europe and it is called mountain Vitosha near Sofia, Bulgaria. There are deposits of smoked quarts in the area my friend found this rock. It looks like a very large geode to me. What do you smart people think ?? Also how should we cut it opean best ??? I like geodes even if they are fully grown. this one is so large that we can make 15 polished tables out of it or more. Thank you so much in advance !!!! :))) 

PS : the peices of stone next to the large rock is granit, there is a granit mine behind his property. So the rock is one piece.

IMG_0941.jpg

Image-1 (4).jpg

I’m not sure if this is just me or does this look man made (cement)? I could be wrong...

Welcome to the forum! :yay-smiley-1:

It doesn't look like a typical geode and it really is a huge stone, but just to make sure, give it a good few taps all over with a hammer. If there's a cavity in there, then it should sound hollow. Also if you can pick it up, it would not be as heavy as one would expect. On the other hand, if there is agate in there, then the previous statements don't apply. As a last resort, you could transport it to a stone mason with a big saw and ask him to cut it for you. However, if you have granite nearby, then your stone may not even be vulcanic, but rather plutonic.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

It does not look like a geode to me

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks