Drumfish Teeth Pictures

tracer

a lot of the time drum pharyngeal grinding plates lose the teeth before you find the plates, but those fish always seem to have more teeth growing up from below that are buried in the plate beneath the surface. i broke up a couple of plates and took the teeth out to show you, along with a picture of a plate as typically found in my area.

post-488-12595147131465_thumb.jpgpost-488-12595147106145_thumb.jpg

It's hard to believe that they are teeth. They are really cool looking. Are they actually animal teeth?

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

It's hard to believe that they are teeth. They are really cool looking. Are they actually animal teeth?

Yup, Drumfish. I imagine them as being pretty grumpy, grinding their teeth all the time... ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

yes - from big fish that have them in their throats to help crunch up the hard-shelled stuff they eat.

Tracer, interesting pictures...so what age stuff is this? what formation? Regards, Chris

it is from the beaumont formation, which is a very dense clay. the beaumont is pleistocene in age, but the material could also probably be holocene reworked down into the upper part of the beaumont. stuff found along the coast seems to vary substantially in apparent age from its density, coloration, and relative state of preservation. lots of transgressive coastal erosion going on in some areas of louisiana and texas.

yes - from big fish that have them in their throats to help crunch up the hard-shelled stuff they eat.

That plate was in the throat then! Most cool. Glad you took them

apart. It that is the original position, those small positioned next

to larger must not be random. All designed for what they ate.

Welcome to the forum!