Rare fossils

Dino1

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Many extinct taxa are described from only a few isolated fragments, so those could be considered rare. Soft bodied preservation is a rare phenomena so those are rare. The availability of some fossils is artificially controlled to drive up prices, so these fossils are artificially rare. Etc etc.

There are many types of "rarity" so I really don't understand your question.

• I found this Informative 4

Depends on a lot... Locality for one.  I have no dinosaur fossils in Florida, imagine the same is true for Hawaii. Even fossils that are relatively common, can be rare at extreme high quality or extremely large size or both.

You need to develop your fossil preferences. I tend to have a greater desire for fossils I can find myself over fossils that are fantastic but only available elsewhere. This is pretty rare.  I certainly enjoyed finding it

Another,

Sometimes , Rare is in the eye of the beholder... 

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

26 minutes ago, Dino1 said:

Hey guys, I am just starting to collect fossils, does anyone know of any types of “rare” fossils?

You may want to do more reading about fossils before much more collecting.  Then, you can better answer what type of fossils interest you...rare, or not.  

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

2 hours ago, Dino1 said:

Hey guys, I am just starting to collect fossils, does anyone know of any types of “rare” fossils?

Like @connorp mentioned, it varies quite a bit on what you intend to collect.  However, I think it is very easy to get wrapped up trying to find the "rarest" or the "best" fossil.  I like to think collecting based on interests and what you find fascinating should trump rarity whether self-found or purchased.

• I found this Informative 3

This response is going to seem a little vague, but enough for you to get the idea for now. I’m assuming you mean dinosaur fossils  

You’re going to come across different websites now, going forward and find that there is a lot of similar material being offered out there; like a lot of Moroccan fossils, Hell Creek/Montana stuff, etc. Basically any fossil coming out of an area that isn’t easily accessed, or where it is tough to find material I would say is rare. This probably isn’t going to make sense to you until you confidently understand how everything works. It took me awhile and I’m still learning. Also quality and size are a huge factor making even what some would usually consider the “common stuff” more desirable. 

I agree with @Runner64  in the grand scheme of things, just collect what you like. I suggest for you to take your time and go through different threads on this forum on varying topics that interest you because there is a lot of knowledge here. Fossils will always be there. If it’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that most if not all rare fossils resurface at some point. Don’t impulse buy and ask for help.

Beauty (or rarity) is in the eye of the beholder, or something like that.

Like many here, I started off buying dino fossils because they were these cool, rare things. Fast forward a few years, I have no dino fossils left, and whenever I show my favorite finds to friends and family, they just smile and shrug because they have no interest in tiny Carboniferous fish bits. Collect what makes you happy, don't worry about what others think.

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, connorp said:

Beauty (or rarity) is in the eye of the beholder, or something like that.

Like many here, I started off buying dino fossils because they were these cool, rare things. Fast forward a few years, I have no dino fossils left, and whenever I show my favorite finds to friends and family, they just smile and shrug because they have no interest in tiny Carboniferous fish bits. Collect what makes you happy, don't worry about what others think.

I feel the same way when I show someone a brachiopod I just finished cleaning up. :ighappy: Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. 

4 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Depends on a lot... Locality for one.  I have no dinosaur fossils in Florida, imagine the same is true for Hawaii. 

I wouldn't be so sure!  ;)

20200414_165053.png

• I found this Informative 5

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Hawaii has rocks only 5myo at the oldest, so any fossil found in the Hawaiian Islands is "rare". Of course, that would be the most common fossils you, but at the same time, quite rare to me. A good definition of rare is what YOU don't see often. The best definition of rare is "the ones not yet found".

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/hawaii/fossil-cave-hi/

he sinkhole has preserved records of floods, droughts, hurricanes, a massive tsunami, the pollen of now extinct native plant species, in addition to countless bones. According to the Makauwahi Cave Reserve website, "the rich fossil-bearing sediments of the Makauwahi Cave, over 33 feet thick in some areas, have an unusual chemistry that preserves almost everything that fell in there over the last 10,000 years or more." .........

Bones found in the cave include those of various extinct animals, including some 40 species of birds, half of which are now extinct.

image.png.d0d93e72a156e54e49164c184244b3a2.png

I have my own sieve!!! I wonder how welcoming Hawaii is to amateur fossil hunters like myself.:zzzzscratchchin:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 4/14/2020 at 5:48 PM, Jackson g said:

I feel the same way when I show someone a brachiopod I just finished cleaning up. :ighappy: Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder. 

I totally understand this. I was showing off some of my collection to a friend once and he actually said about one of my favorite brachiopods, “It’s just an old shell in a rock. What’s the big deal?” 

I proceeded to break out into a scientific rant about why it was not just a shell in a rock. He learned his lesson and never asked what the big deal was again. ;) 

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)