Use Of Ultrasonic Cleaner In Fossil Prep

pleecan

Hi: Yesterday I used a low power el cheapo jewlery ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning/removing clay / dirt debris off some hardy non fagile minerallized fossils from Arkona ie coral, bryozoans,bactrites, tentaculites, cephalopods, bone as in fish armor but would not try on anything that may be fragile ie trilobite.. probably shatter the carpace with the ultrasonic wave energy. PL

Hi: Yesterday I used a low power el cheapo jewlery ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning/removing clay / dirt debris off some hardy non fagile minerallized fossils from Arkona ie coral, bryozoans,bactrites, tentaculites, cephalopods, bone as in fish armor but would not try on anything that may be fragile ie trilobite.. probably shatter the carpace with the ultrasonic wave energy. PL

uh-oh . . . Do you really have an ultra-sound machine, or is it a vibratory bath for jewelry?

If it is the vibratory bath device, "non-fragile" may be the wrong standard for selecting fossils for this sort of cleaning. You might be better off using an "I don't care about this fossil" standard.

The problem with vibratory bath cleaning is it will separate micro-cracks. That is, a fossil may have cracks that are invisible to the naked eye, and the vibrations may reveal those cracks in a most unwelcome manner.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I have a medium size Branson ultrasonic cleaner that I have used for years to clean fossils and have only rarely ruined a fossil. Some leaf prints dont work well being cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner. It will lift the carbon film from the imprint leaving omly the imprint. It has worked really well on all my Eocene invertebrates and shark teeth. It does well cleaning dirt from these central Texas Cretaceous fossils but it won't budge limestone. I've cleaned trilobites, brachiopods, graptolites, etc, everything but obviosly fragile fossils. I wouldnt put one of my Texas Permian silicified fossils in the ultrasonic cleaner. I've lost an occasional fossil but they would probably been lost by any cleaning technique. Harry is right though. A fossil with cracks may suffer irrepairable damage in an ultrasonic cleaner. So when in doubt experiment with a specimen you wouldnt mind losing first.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

I use a little ultrasonic cleaner for shells, coral and other fossils not "breakable". It works well for these fossils, and for microminerals !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

uh-oh . . . Do you really have an ultra-sound machine, or is it a vibratory bath for jewelry?

If it is the vibratory bath device, "non-fragile" may be the wrong standard for selecting fossils for this sort of cleaning. You might be better off using an "I don't care about this fossil" standard.

The problem with vibratory bath cleaning is it will separate micro-cracks. That is, a fossil may have cracks that are invisible to the naked eye, and the vibrations may reveal those cracks in a most unwelcome manner.

You are probably correct that ultra sonic will enhance potential microcracks, but dosing ie duration and intensity of the ultrasonics will modulate the degree of mico cracking, one can pulse the device for ie 10 sec and see the results... one can experiment on non critical specimen .. . I found it effective in removing clays from shells.

PL

There you go Pleecan, me too, that's the way to do it. Just be careful, conservative and watch what is happening with the specimen.

You are probably correct that ultra sonic will enhance potential microcracks, but dosing ie duration and intensity of the ultrasonics will modulate the degree of mico cracking, one can pulse the device for ie 10 sec and see the results... one can experiment on non critical specimen .. . I found it effective in removing clays from shells.

PL

oh, i don't know...vibration and cavitation seem like processes that are kind of hard to precisely monitor to me, and suggesting that they work differentially on clay to remove it without harming an underlying, porous material seems unlikely. those machines aren't even used for all gemstones.

oh, i don't know...vibration and cavitation seem like processes that are kind of hard to precisely monitor to me, and suggesting that they work differentially on clay to remove it without harming an underlying, porous material seems unlikely. those machines aren't even used for all gemstones.

All I am saying is that if one is not comfortable in using the device... then don't use it. I will continue to use ultrasonic cleaners where it fits a particular situation... it is all judgement calls and risk balance and tolerance to risk. PL

Maybe this link can help you.

I think on the moovie, the clay contains a lot of pyrit...

If you want to put out just a clay on fossils, when they are very dried, you can use a little part of hydrogen peroxide on water. But be careful with this chemical !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Maybe this link can help you.

Thank you for the link! One has to always use a bit of common sense when appling various methods of cleaning the fossils. i think ultrasonic cleaners when applied approriately is a nice tool to use. PL

I think on the moovie, the clay contains a lot of pyrit...

If you want to put out just a clay on fossils, when they are very dried, you can use a little part of hydrogen peroxide on water. But be careful with this chemical !

Coco

Thank you for that suggestion. PL

...those machines aren't even used for all gemstones..

Correct. Emeralds, opals, Kunzites (any spodumines, actually), some tourmalines and stuff that has obvious spalls or strong cleavage plains. Diamonds, sapphires, garnets and the like are fine though.

The ultrasonic cleaner that I own is very low power rated at 35 watts of power consumption, 35 watts of ultrasonic energy not industrial/lab strength of couple of hundred watts. The rate of microcrack formation is proportional to the power rating and duration of exposure. PL

I would think that, at low powers and with a reasonably solid specimen, one should be able to loosen adhering dirt without damage to the fossil. If in doubt, I'd practice on low-graders collected for the purpose. Certainly it's another "club in the golf bag".

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!