patrickhudson

Failed the lick test but it sure looks Symetrical and even has a canine looking wear facet.  Just want to confirm it’s a rock before I chuck it into the backyard :)

524044FE-3D1E-40DA-B8DD-146375913889.jpeg

E268833F-E4E2-4C7C-BC22-12CF21979720.jpeg

9D4122D2-84A3-40FD-87B3-FF62AFA7FCF5.jpeg

E8448E85-3376-47C0-AD1C-574739D3644C.jpeg

260326BE-876C-4F17-9168-4F32787152B6.jpeg

I'll go with rock. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Chuck at will. ;)

It's just Mother Nature having fun and making suggestive rocks to keep us on our toes. That would be huge for a canine. In Montana you have dinosaurs but in Florida only mammoths and mastodons would have teeth of such size (and they don't have canines). A tooth will generally show some sign of an enamel coating. This looks to be just a water worn cobble. The flattened section may be the remains of a mineral intrusion layer that is all but worn away.

Cheers.

-Ken

:thumbsu:

You're in an area with some interesting fossils. I see from your other post that you've found a location for some dinosaur material. Florida was underwater during the Age of Dinosaurs (but we have megalodon teeth as a consolation prize). ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

My daughter and I have traveled out to South Carolina and Florida a couple of times looking for megalodon teeth.  That’s what got us into searching for stuff originally.  Tons of fun.  We did Venice Beach for one day, but only found shells. I would love to go down there and find some of those really pretty light brown and white megs 

Small shark teeth can be found on the Gulf Coast beaches in the general Venice area. The Peace River finds its terminus in Charlotte Harbor that opens out on that coast. Apparently, there was an older riverbed that originally drained fossil materials a bit further north around Venice at one time so there are bone beds offshore with lots of fossils.

Finding megs (whole ones, anyway) either requires lots of effort or a good deal of luck. There are a number of forum members in the Florida area. If you are planning a vacation down to our state during the dry (non-hurricane) season, that is the time that the rivers and creeks are low enough to go out fossil hunting. You can check with us for information on how to have a successful hunt or, if some of our members are free at the time, we enjoy taking TFF members out on fossil hunts to share our fossil wealth. It's one of the best aspects of this community--our membership is very welcoming in helping visitors to experience fossil hunting while traveling. I've had offers to go out in the field from probably dozens of members (and have been able to take several of them up on the offer).

:thumbsu:

Cheers.

-Ken