Fossil Fest

erose

This weekend in Round Rock, TX is the 19th annual Fossil Fest. The show is put on by the Paleontological Society of Austin (formerly the CTPS & APS, now together)

It's small but all the dealers are fossil dealers and we have great stuff for kids. So go hit some of the local road cuts and then come & warm up checking out the displays and dealers. We have a small concession as well. One other thing we have set up is a video microscope. So if you have some tiny stuff you want to see magnified bring it down and we can take a look. I'm not sure if we have video capture software set up yet (no promises) but if we do bring a flash drive and we can probably send you home with images.

Here are the details:

Activities include:

A Grand Door prize drawing. Tickets are one dollar each. These are three nice big Moroccan specimens, 1st, 2nd & 3rd place.

Fossil dealers with specimens from around the world.

Fossil exhibits and demonstrations.

Special presentation for youth groups. Sign up here

The "Wheel of Fossils". Only 25 cents, every spin wins a fossil!

Hourly door prizes on Saturday and Sunday

If you have something you would like identified, we can usually give it a pretty good shot.

Old Settler's Heritage Association (inside)

Next to the Dell Diamond on Highway 79, Round Rock, TX 3 miles east of IH-35

Day Date Time

Saturday 12/5/09 9:00am to 5:00pm

Sunday 12/6/09 9:00am to 4:00pm

Admission: $2/adult, $1/students, children under 6 free.

Link: http://www.texaspaleo.com/psa/fest.html

Sounds like it's really well put together!

The video microscope and the wheel of fossils are particularly imaginitive :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I forgot to mention that we have fossil kits for teachers. They consist of ten fossils, mostly local to Texas, labeled as best we can and housed in a nice plastic container. Our members collect lots of extra stuff for the various shows we take part in each year. From those we remove the best stuff and use it for the kits. Sometimes the kits have better specimens of certain fossils than most of us have in our own collections. It's pretty funny when we sit down to make the kits and folks are oooing and awwwing over the stuff going into the kits.

I'll be checking it out tomorrow at noon!!! Can't wait, it was a blast for my boy & I last year. :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Edited by Megalodon1

Sorry folks. I'm also awaiting pics. I edit the newsletter for the PSoA and we have our holiday party Friday and I need material for that as well! I took pictures during set up and they are just not interesting.

Maybe some of our members can send in pics. The turnout was good. It's not a huge show but its supper family friendly with all the dealers selling stuff at low enough prices that kids can go home with something nice. And we of course hand out buckets of fossils at 25 cents a pop at our spinning wheel and dig pits.