Fotm December Entries

Phoenixflood

Hi everyone

You will have till the 7th of Jan to choose your best find from December. I encourage everyone partipating to include the name of your find, the date it was discovered, and perhaps a narrative about your discovery. This will help us greatly in choosing fossils for the poll that will come after the 7th of Jan. We will only include what you provide.

You may only post ONE fossil per person. If you post more than one we will not consider either. It must have been found in DECEMBER for it to be eligible!

With that said let's see some great entries!!! :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody's found anything good so far this month?!

why don't you rub it in?!

i'm working on assembling the t-rex because i figure it'll be more dramatic. now don't bother me while i'm super-gluing this perfectly preserved eyeball back into the socket...AIYEEE!!!!!

(wrong eyeball)

Fine, fine. I'll get us started off. I know as soon as I post this, I'll find something 10x better and not be able to enter it.

post-1553-12610799550443_thumb.jpg post-1553-1261079971531_thumb.jpg

Pleistocene horse (Equus) ungual phalanx (hoof core). The second pic is showing the bone that would have connected to it, but that's a separate fossil found at a different time. The hoof core is what I'm entering. Found December 7th. I can get better pics upon request, but this is all I had on the computer at the moment.

I would give a story about it, but it would be boring. I was diving, I stuck my hand in the sand/gravel, felt something strange, pulled it out and this was sitting in my hand.

-Cris

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

I know it's not a nice tooth to most of you ppl but for me it is my best find of this month :)...i just love the colors on this megalodon shark tooth, im thinking to get it fixed soon. found it on Dec 14 in a creek from Gainesville Fla. No story to tell, just lots of digging and sifting.

post-1674-1261153305416_thumb.jpg

post-1674-12611533232055_thumb.jpg

Edited by edd

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

Edd, it looks like exotic candy corn. Do you know which type of shark tooth it is?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

forgot to mention it is Megalodon shark tooth...ill edit the post

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

Let me spark a little interest in inverts this month....featured is an extremely rare Maastrichtian regular echinoid Codiopsis (gonna be) woehri found at dusk on 12/06 (no flashlight required this month!) I've found perhaps 8 of these things in the last 4 years out of some 2000-3000 perfect echinoids taken there. So as you can see, even with a ludicrously productive site one can see that this critter is statistically an improbable find. Now multiply that scarcity by the paucity of good Upper K echinoid sites in Texas and you'll quickly surmise that not many of these things have been or will be found - ever.

The only two known to be outside of my collection are the 2 roughest ones I put in the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science collection. Cosmopolitan echinoid guru Andrew Smith in London has apparently inspected one or both specimens and agrees that we are looking at a new species.

I've seen the description of the next closest known critter in Texas, Codiopsis stephensoni, and it is generally known from the Escondido fm, not the Corsicana where mine have been coming from, but more significantly there are diagnostic differences between the two. Most obvious is the sharper ambitus of my specimens than C. stephensoni, meaning mine has a sharp transition from maximum diameter to a flat bottom, while C. stephensoni has a more convex, gradually rounded bottom.

George Phillips at the MMNS says he'd like to push description of this thing to the front of his backlog of echies to describe, ahead of a potentially new spatangoid of mine, one which I may save for another FOTM contest, hehehe.

Anyway, the specimen featured this month is above average in size, the only high form specimen I've taken out of the whole mess of them, and the only one with all the tubercles still attached, including the secondary tubercles, none of which remain on my other specimens. I left a little matrix in places where I was afraid to pop off tubercles.

post-22-12615438282638_thumb.jpg

post-22-12615438319821_thumb.jpg

post-22-12615438395388_thumb.jpg

post-22-12615438471442_thumb.jpg

post-22-1261543852471_thumb.jpg

post-22-1261543858314_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Let me spark a little interest in inverts this month....featured is an extremely rare Maastrichtian regular echinoid Codiopsis (gonna be) woehri found at dusk on 12/06

nice find! and congratulations!

• New Members

I just found this tooth last week and needed help with the ID. Someone suggested I enter it so here goes:

Tooth was found on the bank of an intracoastal waterway about 3 miles from Atlantic beach in Florida (Northeast Fl.) I thought it was possibly a Giant Thresher, but thanks to the help I learned it is a Parotodus benedini. It is currently the best tooth I have found. Its in pretty good shape with some cracking in the gums and missing a small bit of the tip.

Length: 2 1/2

Width: 2 1/16

post-2607-12615728013082_thumb.jpg

Wow, Dan! That is some nice preservation on a very interesting specimen. Serious Muhaha!

Nice tooth, Ken.

post-420-12616125919935_thumb.jpg

Dan, that is a spectacular echinoid! Codiopsis (woehri) looks better than it did with dirt on it. ;)

I just found this tooth last week and needed help with the ID. Someone suggested I enter it so here goes:

Tooth was found on the bank of an intracoastal waterway about 3 miles from Atlantic beach in Florida (Northeast Fl.) I thought it was possibly a Giant Thresher, but thanks to the help I learned it is a Parotodus benedini. It is currently the best tooth I have found. Its in pretty good shape with some cracking in the gums and missing a small bit of the tip.

Length: 2 1/2

Width: 2 1/16

post-2607-12615728013082_thumb.jpg

Really Awesome. I know how hard benedinis are to find. I find one nice one every 200 dives or so. Really Cool!!

here's my entry, an invert this month. this monster is solid limestone, and weighs probably around 100 pounds. biggest ammonite to date, i think it's pretty cool. not sure the exact date but it was found over our expedition to north texas. here goes my scientific name spelling attempt: Eopachydiscus marcianus.

post-936-12619571898348_thumb.jpg

Good Grief, TJ, that is insane!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

TJ, it looks like the spare tire from Barney Rubble's car....awesome.

Is it from the Duck Creek Formation of the Washita Group?

TJ

Did you hit yourself in the forehead on the rebound??? I would have....

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

no dan, my arm strength does not compare to your beastliness which allows you to swing your rock hammer at the speed of light. i did, however, get a few chunks of limestone in the eyes. glasses may have been a good idea.

Thanks a lot for the comments guys. By far the biggest we have found and a really nice showpiece for our collection.

TJ that's awesome! :D I have one that's about the size of a steering wheel. What are the dimensions on the BIG ONE? :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Here is my run at FOTM for December:

A plate from the Texas Anacacho formation consisting of four currently unidentified baculites, approximately thirteen gastropods and mixed coral and shell hash.

Enjoy

Brian

post-526-12621132394483_thumb.jpg

post-526-12621132599658_thumb.jpg

Brian Evans

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

You guys sure do find some very nice fossils! Dan, that echy is super nice! Tracer jr, if you find any ammos any bigger you wont be able to take a photo of them on your lap. Im thinking you have bruzes on your legs with that one? Maybe someday I will post a fossil of the month, not sure, all my stuff is found long ago and has to be prepped. Right now Im on the 4th day of gutting out my little garage (-12 degrees yesterday!!!) and already have two new cercuits in, other wires moved, all the insulation in, half of the sheetrock in and already installed a new in the wall heater. In about 5 more days I just may have a very clean, very organized and heated garage. Im just about ready to start prepping no matter how cold it may be? I wish all of you folks good luck with your Fossils of The Month. Some nice specimens out there.

RB

Wow, it's gonna be another hard month. All of your finds are just awesome.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'