JoeS

Hi all, I recently acquired this Theropod indet. tooth speculating it might be a Dromaeosaurus albertensis. It was found in the Judith River Fm., is 0.72 inch long and serration count over 5mm is 20 mesial and 18 distal. It is a very stout tooth, so might as well be a Tyrannosaurid. It has a twist in the mesial carina and though denticles are very close in width, mesial ones are shorter, and the shape of denticles does not look classic Tyrannosaurid to me. I would like hear your opinions please.

5eceb2abcecd8_07_Dromaeosaurus_1.thumb.jpg.23b208f1428ad29b74b79a5e82e18977.jpg5eceb2b087bde_07_Dromaeosaurus_3.thumb.jpg.530ce031f57bab3318cde839b9361556.jpg5eceb71b8a9a1_07_Dromaeosauruscopy.thumb.jpg.f8ddc39aed75df5ca5aa6d7ed970dd9b.jpg5eceb2b408433_07_Dromaeosaurus_2.thumb.jpg.2707260009769b2714e0c35c1336895d.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

I dont' know anything about the ID, I just wanted to tell you the photography of the tooth and its detail is beautiful.  I see a lot of these posts asking for ID's and this is one of the nicer jobs of showing the important features (or at least what I believe I have learned are the important features).  Someone will be along shortly to actually help you, I'm sure. :thumbsu:

• I found this Informative 1

Absolutely gorgeous tooth a super addition to your collection.   The photos are some of the best I've seen to aid in identification thanks.  Hopefully others can learn from them.

The tooth is a Tyrannosaurid.    The mesial side lacks the twist from the tip to the base.  There is a slight twist of the carina at the base very typical of Tyrannosaurid teeth with Y serrations although this tooth lacks the other leg.  The denticles are consistent with tyrannosaurid.  

Congrat a very nice tooth and beautiful color typical of what you would expect from the JR.

• I found this Informative 5

1 hour ago, LordTrilobite said:

Whatever it is it's a beautiful tooth.

@Troodon will likely know more.

28 minutes ago, ClearLake said:

I dont' know anything about the ID, I just wanted to tell you the photography of the tooth and its detail is beautiful.  I see a lot of these posts asking for ID's and this is one of the nicer jobs of showing the important features (or at least what I believe I have learned are the important features).  Someone will be along shortly to actually help you, I'm sure. :thumbsu:

12 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

I know it has already been said, but your photography is superb! :thumbsu:

Thank you - very kind.

25 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Absolutely gorgeous tooth a super addition to your collection.   The photos are some of the best I've seen to aid in identification thanks.  Hopefully others can learn from them.

The tooth is a Tyrannosaurid.    The mesial side lacks the twist from the tip to the base.  There is a slight twist of the carina at the base very typical of Tyrannosaurid teeth with Y serrations although this tooth lacks the other leg.  The denticles are consistent with tyrannosaurid.  

Congrat a very nice tooth and beautiful color typical of what you would expect from the JR.

I see, thought the denticles are not that box shaped ;)  Something learned - thank you so much!

You have to consider all of the characteristics of the tooth.    The fist step was did it meet the overall profile of a Dromaeosaurus tooth which shows a lingual twist from the tip to the base.  It did not but if it did  then you can look at serration density and shape.

Screenshot_20200527-152434_Drive.jpg.d29a57604f3bd7b001ee47c7d54c341e.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

agreed, the tiny twist at the end of the carina did fool me, thank you for your help as always.

• 2 years later...

That is probably the most gorgeous tooth I've ever seen! :wub: 

Forever a student of Nature

image.png.b91ce67f2541747809ca9464ef3e0fa6.png image.png.91f16f76669e71e2b39cff25bd672bde.png image.png.d9d37e4f54d24fd75a9c495d6f024bb8.png

5 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

That is probably the most gorgeous tooth I've ever seen! :wub: 

Yeah, very nice one for sure! Unfortunately not a species I was looking for, so I made another collector happy passing it on ;)