kei2349

• New Members

Aloha!

Planning a short trip to California before I move further away, I was always fascinated by fossils. Are there any dig sites in California that rent out tools? I would love to find a trilobite or ammonite!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Shark tooth hill is THE place for shark teeth in CA. Near Bakersfield.  You will not be disappointed, unless of course you are looking for an ammonite or a trilobite.  

Not sure if there are any trilobite or ammonite sites, but sharktooth hill is Supposed to be one of the best shark teeth sites in the world and the teeth that can be found have great colors!!!

I think you can look for fossils from rocks, and it will be much easier.Fossils are usually found in sedimentary rocks, most of which are flaky.And fossilized stones are relatively fixed in color.

• New Members

Thanks for all the help! So it seems like if I wanted to rent tools, Shark tooth hill is the best area to do so, I decided to buy a used rock pick online and hit up some spots for ammonites in California. 

a few more questions:

-does anyone know of any cheap fossil shops? I would like to see all the variety America has to offer

-any free ammonite fossil hunting locations in California?  

There is a trilobite site off highway 40 (Marble mountain collecting area, BLM owned). Need good vehicle to get to but not 4x4 most times. No tools available as it's in middle of nowhere. Though, a lot of trilobite bits can be found without tools. I know of no ammonites in California.