Need Id: Pliocene Horse Tooth?

Boesse

Hi all,

Here's a horse molar I came across. There are 3 possibilities to its provenance, since it was found as float on a beach:

1) Pliocene Purisima Formation (marine, highly fossiliferous)

2) Pleistocene (marine & nonmarine, barely fossiliferous)

3) Modern (unlikely, appears fossilized, colored blue).

Any way, here are some views of the specimen - if anyone on here knows anything more specific (Genus, species etc) let me know if you can help.

Bobby

post-225-1205716660_thumb.jpg

Hi all,

Here's a horse molar I came across. There are 3 possibilities to its provenance, since it was found as float on a beach:

1) Pliocene Purisima Formation (marine, highly fossiliferous)

2) Pleistocene (marine & nonmarine, barely fossiliferous)

3) Modern (unlikely, appears fossilized, colored blue).

Any way, here are some views of the specimen - if anyone on here knows anything more specific (Genus, species etc) let me know if you can help.

Bobby

Bobby . . . It's not a horse tooth. Not even a Perissodactyl tooth. It is an Artiodactyl premolar.

Could be a camel or Antilocaprid (such as Stockoceras sp.). That's the direction to start looking. Let us know what you find.

------Harry Pristis

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Bobby . . . It's not a horse tooth. Not even a Perissodactyl tooth. It is an Artiodactyl premolar.

Could be a camel or Antilocaprid (such as Stockoceras sp.). That's the direction to start looking. Let us know what you find.

------Harry Pristis

Darn it, darn it, darn it. I thought that to myself but decided I was probably wrong. Maybe I should stop second guessing myself all the time :P

Darn it, darn it, darn it. I thought that to myself but decided I was probably wrong. Maybe I should stop second guessing myself all the time :P

Hey, Cris, I'm glad you agree with me. Don't worry, there'll be plenty of opportunities in your future to go out on a limb with an ID. :)

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Ya, I got an email back from a horse guy, and an a bit embarassed. I haven't looked at a horse tooth in quite a while, I must admit! Now that I've checked up on it, I definitely see no resemblance and it does look like an artiodactyl. Ah, thats what happens when you get someone like me used to mammals with homodont dentitions!

Thanks a bunch Harry for the tips. I'm a little more familiar with Plio-Pleistocene bovids in California.

For future assistance:

UNIDENTIFIED ARTIODACTYL TOOTH, NOT HORSE