Permian Lab Updates

dinodigger

Hi everyone, I added a link to an article I wrote a few months back on some of the Permian skeletal material we've been preparing. We've had quite a few surprises this year both in the lab as well as the field, as you may have read in my previous posts. The article below is about another great Permian amphibian, Diplocaulus, as well as some other creatures we've stumbled upon. Meanwhile, the massive block of the amphibian Trimerorhachis remains we've been working on recently has been finally heaved out of the ground; the weight of the block may be close to 2 or 3 tons. Unofficially, we believe it is third recorded death scene of the species, as well as the heaviest concentration of the species in a death scene, with a specimen count possibly reaching into the hundreds. It's a wonderful drama. Flipping through these clay and shale pages of an absurd play starring absurd-looking creatures, we are viewing a crucial time in Earth's history, when the first land vertebrates are still in the first act of this play. The finbacks are nearing their end; the amphibians are doing well. Then the shot in the dark. A mass grave of amphibians. The great whodunit of the Permian.

Just click on the link below, or paste it into the address bar at the top. Hope you enjoy. More posts to come.

http://blog.hmns.org/?p=4993

Good piece; the excitement is palpable!

Thank you for inviting us into your world. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A well written and fascinating report, Chris. Thanks for the "inside" look at your work.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ