Fish Fossil Is It A Fake?

pleecan

A few years ago when I knew nothing about fossils... I purchase a fossil from Ebay... the fish fossil looked neat at the time... closer examination .... gut feeling that is probably a fake.... the head where it joins the spinal column doesn't look quite right???? Any fish experts out there? Opinions? Thanks in advance. PL

post-2446-12605001981127_thumb.jpg

Was it expensive? It's hard to imagine anyone putting the time into fabricating something that intricate unless they could get a lot for it.

Did it come with any information?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Was it expensive? It's hard to imagine anyone putting the time into fabricating something that intricate unless they could get a lot for it.

Did it come with any information?

I recall paying $25... I got it from a dealer in Asia.... I think there a was a latin name for the fossil I have lost descriptor name of the fossil.... I am not sure but the origins could be China and surrounding areas. PL

I see what you mean about the head; maybe that was "restored"? The rest raise no suspicions for me.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hey its real. The cervical joint there has been distorted a bit but as far as its authenticity I wouldn't doubt it.

Thanks everyone for your prompt response, can any one supply an ID name to the fossil... I am not that familiar with fish fossils. PL

Many fake fossils are cast up from Bondo type material and then painted. When in doubt, give a small area a gentle rub with a Q - Tip lightly dipped in acetone - containing finger nail polish remover. Every time I have done that to a fake, the paint has come off and the plastic got very soft where I hit it with the acetone such that I could then remove a bit with my finger nail and thus feel the resiliency of the plastic.

I agree that would be a lot of work for small returns from a fake, so it is likely real.

it is definately real. and even more, it is a Lycoptera muller from liaoning china. they are very common and can be purchased very inexpensivly. you have a very nice example.

Brock

Many fake fossils are cast up from Bondo type material and then painted. When in doubt, give a small area a gentle rub with a Q - Tip lightly dipped in acetone - containing finger nail polish remover. Every time I have done that to a fake, the paint has come off and the plastic got very soft where I hit it with the acetone such that I could then remove a bit with my finger nail and thus feel the resiliency of the plastic.

I agree that would be a lot of work for small returns from a fake, so it is likely real.

Thank you Bear for the acetone test... I am learning lots from this forum! PL

it is definately real. and even more, it is a Lycoptera muller from liaoning china. they are very common and can be purchased very inexpensivly. you have a very nice example.

Brock

Brock: Thanks very much for the ID... I did remember that the little peice of paper that I lost... fossil name did start with a "L". Thanks again to all that have replied :) . The reason why I had posted this fossil is because I read somewhere that most of the fossil coming out of Asia... a good percentage are fakes. PL

Guest Smilodon

Brock

I believe it is commonly known as a "lantern fish."