Lower Cambrian Trilobites in South Central PA?

cameronsfossilcollection

Hey there everyone. I’m currently up in New York hunting for fossil, and tomorrow I’ll be riding through PA and have been itching to collect at the Kinzers Formation and was wondering if anybody in the forum was familiar with any public access areas to find any Cambrian material? I’ve done a fair amount of reading and it seems like a lot has either been over-collected or is in closed quarries.   Any information would be greatly appreciated!

• New Members
45 minutes ago, cameronsfossilcollection said:

Hey there everyone. I’m currently up in New York hunting for fossil, and tomorrow I’ll be riding through PA and have been itching to collect at the Kinzers Formation and was wondering if anybody in the forum was familiar with any public access areas to find any Cambrian material? I’ve done a fair amount of reading and it seems like a lot has either been over-collected or is in closed quarries.   Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Hi! I am not an expert on this, and have never collected in the Kinzers Formation, but have heard of a roadcut on Locust Lane where some Kinzers trilos can be found (I have never been there though). The roadcut is just across I-83 on Locust Lane by 224–248 W Locust Ln, York PA.

Edited by belemnite
  • I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, belemnite said:

a roadcut on Locust Lane where some Kinzers trilos can be found (I have never been there though). The roadcut is just across I-83 on Locust Lane by 224–248 W Locust Ln, York PA.

I tried this spot once without seeing a hint of a trilobite. So keep reality in check when visiting this site.

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

I tried this spot once without seeing a hint of a trilobite. So keep reality in check when visiting this site.

I second that

Happy hunting,

Mason

19 hours ago, belemnite said:

roadcut on Locust Lane where some Kinzers trilos can be found (I have never been there though). The roadcut is just across I-83 on Locust Lane by 224–248 W Locust Ln, York PA.

Searched high and low, like other users said I couldn’t find a hint of anything. The rocks looked cool though. Thanks for the potential spot - but no luck this time around :shakehead: 

• New Members
6 hours ago, cameronsfossilcollection said:

Searched high and low, like other users said I couldn’t find a hint of anything. The rocks looked cool though. Thanks for the potential spot - but no luck this time around :shakehead: 

Ah sorry for the disappointment, yeah I've never been there myself (only heard about it) and probably won't go now.

On 6/26/2020 at 8:17 PM, cameronsfossilcollection said:

I visited Locust Lane a while ago, and also came back empty handed. I know the site has trilobites (or at least I assume it does) as I've seen people's finds supposedly from that site, but alas no luck myself. The Kinzers in general isn't very fossiliferous, and most of the fossils that have been found are relegated to a few lagerstatten. Some members on this forum claim to have success finding trilobites at a couple of other sites, but they sound like they're on private property and not accessible. I only know of one site that remained as of a couple of years ago and probably still does today, but whether or not it's productive is the big question. I know one person claims to have found a partial Olenellus at it, but take traveling back up there with a heavy dose of realism. 

If you still want to find Cambrian trilobites, there's sites closer to VA, they just take some hard work finding them. I know some people claim to have found partial Olenellus specimens in the Harpers Formation in far eastern WV, and the Waynesboro Formation produced a few fragments of Olenellus for members of the VGS near Luray. The basal Elbrook Formation has produced abundant trilobites in Chambersburg, PA, and that unit continues down into WV and VA so it might be worth looking into. The Conococheague is less fossiliferous, but has still produced some specimens in PA, MD, and WV. The upper Antietam Sandstone also has occasional fragments of Olenellus reported from MD and I believe VA as well.

• I found this Informative 3

On 6/28/2020 at 10:27 PM, EMP said:

I visited Locust Lane a while ago, and also came back empty handed. I know the site has trilobites (or at least I assume it does) as I've seen people's finds supposedly from that site, but alas no luck myself. The Kinzers in general isn't very fossiliferous, and most of the fossils that have been found are relegated to a few lagerstatten. Some members on this forum claim to have success finding trilobites at a couple of other sites, but they sound like they're on private property and not accessible. I only know of one site that remained as of a couple of years ago and probably still does today, but whether or not it's productive is the big question. I know one person claims to have found a partial Olenellus at it, but take traveling back up there with a heavy dose of realism. 

If you still want to find Cambrian trilobites, there's sites closer to VA, they just take some hard work finding them. I know some people claim to have found partial Olenellus specimens in the Harpers Formation in far eastern WV, and the Waynesboro Formation produced a few fragments of Olenellus for members of the VGS near Luray. The basal Elbrook Formation has produced abundant trilobites in Chambersburg, PA, and that unit continues down into WV and VA so it might be worth looking into. The Conococheague is less fossiliferous, but has still produced some specimens in PA, MD, and WV. The upper Antietam Sandstone also has occasional fragments of Olenellus reported from MD and I believe VA as well.

Wow, thanks for the information. I’ll look into these spots and see if I can’t make my way up to a few of these places, I’m determined!