Battery Op. Uv Led Pocket Light For Fossil Hunting

pleecan

Has any one used a battery operated UV LED light source for Fossil Hunting? Tell us your experiences and applications in the fossil hunt. PL

I had no luck with it on shark's teeth on the beach at Virginia's Calvert Fm. (Miocene).

Tried it at night, with different frequencies.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

But who would seriously hunt at night????? :blink:

Never been to Texas hunting have you. Ask Dan the best fossils come out at night.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Best way to test the UV on the fossils.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Great way to find scorpions though, as they fluoresce quite well under UV. :P I use my UV flash to ID rocks though...fossils don't do anything under it.

Great way to find scorpions though, as they fluoresce quite well under UV. :P I use my UV flash to ID rocks though...fossils don't do anything under it.

Hi Bear: Thanks for your observations... one thing to note

Placoderms mentioned on another thread than he had some success with fish bone/armor lighting up :) under certain UV wavelengths . PL

Has any one used a battery operated UV LED light source for Fossil Hunting? Tell us your experiences and applications in the fossil hunt. PL

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:05 PM

I just bought a new toy. It's a 51 LED ultraviolet flashlight.

A quick sweep of my fossils reveals that teeth from the Badlands flouresce nicely. With other fossils, it's hit and miss. Tampa Fm. agatized coral does flouresce.

Butvar-76 and Glyptal flouresce. Repairs with epoxy and epoxy casts flouresce brightly. Casts made of polyester resin do not flouresce. That is, in the wave-length produced by these LEDs [395nm in the UVA spectrum].

Fossils from the phosphate at Aurora, NC, flouresce nicely. Anyone been there at night with a UV flashlight?

post-42-12607531775763_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Posted 22 March 2009 - 03:05 PM

I just bought a new toy. It's a 51 LED ultraviolet flashlight.

A quick sweep of my fossils reveals that teeth from the Badlands flouresce nicely. With other fossils, it's hit and miss. Tampa Fm. agatized coral does flouresce.

Butvar-76 and Glyptal flouresce. Repairs with epoxy and epoxy casts flouresce brightly. Casts made of polyester resin do not flouresce. That is, in the wave-length produced by these LEDs [395nm in the UVA spectrum].

Fossils from the phosphate at Aurora, NC, flouresce nicely. Anyone been there at night with a UV flashlight?

post-42-12607531775763_thumb.jpg

Thanks Harry for he posting the information... Today I just bought 2pc with 12 UV -LED flashlights from Ebay to explore flourscent effect on fossils... lots of fun. PL

I found my biggest Meg from the cliffs at 10:30PM Maglights with LED work great!!

post-281-12607551124646_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I found my biggest Meg from the cliffs at 10:30PM Maglights with LED work great!!

post-281-12607551124646_thumb.jpg

Sunshine or no

You gotta' go

When the tide is low

Burma Shave

Guest Smilodon

Just to expand,

Almost all teeth from the Badlands fluoresce yellowish under long wave. Bones will sometimes fluoresce green and red under shortwave. Most Moroccan shark teeth fluoresce under long wave as do Chinese teeth.

BUT, check out your fossils after you turn off the light. Some wil phosphoresce, that is, they light up AFTER you turn the light off. I have several specimens including a sabercat skull from China where the teeth do that. Really eerie, as you can imagine. It's Halloween 24/7 at Miller's Fossils. :startle:

Sunshine or no

You gotta' go

When the tide is low

Burma Shave

Now you are trying to make me feel old, as I remember reading those silly signs all over this great land as a lad in the back seat of the old turquoise and white Bel Air wagon. :P