Fossil Prepping Help?

FF7_Yuffie

So, I've got this old lump of rock with an Icthysaur tooth in it, a few bone fragments and a coprolite and would like to prep it but have no idea how to do it. Anyone got any suggestions for the best way to go about it, the tooth is the main thing I want to get out of the rock by the way.

It's from Aust Cliffs at Bristol and from the Triassic. Measure 73mm high, 96mm wide and 41mm deep.

post-2332-12607499007537_thumb.jpg

post-2332-12607500440678_thumb.jpg

Any help at all would be much appreciated. This will be my first attempt at prepping and I definitely do not want to balls it up. :)

Edited by FF7_Yuffie

Are you set on removing the tooth from the matrix?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If you're rich id get an mini blaster and air scribe and prep that way, but if your poor like me use some dental picks and carfuly remove the matrix. but practics on a expendable fossil first until you get the hang of it. And by the way i would leave the tooth in the matrix with the rest of it. it will increase the value of the tooth and every thing else in the matrix and it will also look cooler.

-Frozen

Was gonna remove the tooth but now you mention it I guess it does look kinda cool in the same slab with the coprolite and bones too.

What I'm curious about though is if there's anything else...other teeth, bone fragments etc inside the lump too as well as the ones that are visible. Don't wanna have me another nice little Icthysaur tooth that's all buried in a big old lump of rock :)

Thanks for your advice btw and I'm poor so the expensive method is out of the question lol.

How come leaving the tooth in increases the value by the way? I always thought fully removed was better...but then I'm kinda a noob so...

For hard scientific research purposes, out-of-matrix would probably be the way to go, but a nicely prepped plate, especially with cool associations, really cranks up the interest meter.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Was gonna remove the tooth but now you mention it I guess it does look kinda cool in the same slab with the coprolite and bones too.

What I'm curious about though is if there's anything else...other teeth, bone fragments etc inside the lump too as well as the ones that are visible. Don't wanna have me another nice little Icthysaur tooth that's all buried in a big old lump of rock :)

Thanks for your advice btw and I'm poor so the expensive method is out of the question lol.

How come leaving the tooth in increases the value by the way? I always thought fully removed was better...but then I'm kinda a noob so...

That is why you go VARY slowly when you remove matrix, but sense your a noob then dont even think about touching it you do more bad then good......no offence.

-Frozen

Edited by frozen_turkey

FF7 Yuffie....I think it looks fine as it is..... and being in matrix gives it greater interest I feel...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

For whatever its worth, to me, if you take the tooth out of the matrix, then you have a tooth out of matrix. If you leave it in the matrix, then you have the original ocean sediments it was buried in, you also have the other things too making it a much better 'multi specimen'.

RB

For whatever its worth, to me, if you take the tooth out of the matrix, then you have a tooth out of matrix. If you leave it in the matrix, then you have the original ocean sediments it was buried in, you also have the other things too making it a much better 'multi specimen'.

RB

Exactly!

In the matrix the story of it is there to appreciate as opposed to just another loose tooth. Frankly, I'd much rather have that cool display specimen you have there right now... ;)

Be true to the reality you create.

Alright cool, thanks for your help and advice. I think I'm gonna stick with keeping it with the matrix since it does look pretty good like that :)

Plus since I'm prone to cocking things up I guess it isn't worth the risk to both try to remove the tooth and also to see if on the off chance there's other stuff inside the rock.

Thanks again :)