Randyw

Hi. I was just wondering if anyone has been watching the series Dino hunters on the discovery channel Friday’s at 8 central? And what are your thoughts about it?

I don't get Discovery channel and haven't had the chance to watch it. I'm curious and willing to give it a chance. 

I saw the previews... No Thanks.  And I know one of the guys.  Matter of fact, I propsed to my wife on Mike H's place.  

• I found this Informative 1

Watched one episode and was not thrilled. Money seemed to be the theme of the day. Whether this is reality or not, it just is not for me. I collect for ENJOYMENT of the hunt. It would have been better received by me if the financial dealings, though a reality for them,  were downplayed. I MAY watch another episode but doubt it.

Mike

I know someone who was filmed for a show like this last year.  It could have been this one, I dont know, he wont say which.  I do know his segment was cut and wont air.  Said that the directors tried to influence the story line, add to the dialogue, etc and he wouldnt do it.  Probably why it wont air.  

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/

I’ve been seeing the commercials for the show air for a couple of weeks now. Even in the commercials, money was emphasized. That doesn’t seem like the right show for me, so I have not watched it.

I agree with @minnbuckeye. It’s the enjoyment of the hunt, collecting, and possible contribution to science, that drives me.

For me, the PBS show that @jpc was a part of (Prehistoric Road Trip) has a much better idea and philosophy behind it. I’ll stick with that. :) 

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

To me also, the money angle is a total turn off.  Also, it will result in more nut jbs coming out to our area and trespassing on dinosaur bearing ranches and giving us alll a bad name.  I hope I am wrong.

I've watched the first three episodes and have to say its a pretty bad series.  Everything is overly dramatized with too much emphasis on $$$ along with unrealistic valuations and hype.  The ankylosaur site that was claimed by the Wyoming group was based on a scute that I think was a Triceratops eppoccipital.  I'll continue to watch the show since both Clayton and Jared are long time friends and I know everyone in Claytons dig group.  Had lunch with Jared and the film crew so got little sense of what these guys had to go through. 

I feel like it’s negative for the community. Encourages the wrong people to enter the field for the wrong reason, widening the divide between commercial dealers, amateurs, and professionals. 

Happy hunting,

Mason

I think it is clear they have passion for finding the stuff on the show but you can tell production pushes the $$$ side of things...which sucks for us personal collectors for enjoyment. The last thing we all want is a influx of people who think they can just go tear up some land and hit big. I have been saying for years that the fossil industry will explode..with population booming and peoples exposure going up there is no doubt that things will be come harder to find and more valuable. Will places like big brook see so much activity that the erosion will happen so much quicker to the point the formation will be depleted in 10-15 years? Will Montana and other similar states start becoming private land? I mean I personally would love to work in this field for my living..but then I always have that backburner thought of morals. My hope is to open up a rock shop. Anyways, just like storage hunters..after shows like that became popular it killed many people out of the storage hunting business. Social media does what social media does. Who knows what hunting for fossils will be like in the next century..its already hard to find a site to collect without traveling greatly.

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

I've watched the first three episodes and have to say its a pretty bad series.  Everything is overly dramatized with too much emphasis on $$$ along with unrealistic valuations and hype.  The ankylosaur site that was claimed by the Wyoming group was based on a scute that I think was a Triceratops eppoccipital.  I'll continue to watch the show since both Clayton and Jared are long time friends and I know everyone in Claytons dig group.  Had lunch with Jared and the film crew so got little sense of what these guys had to go through. 

I did not see the show, but "the Wyoming group", as you call them, have collected a partial ankylosaur on his place.  Mike does know ankylosaur scutes... his specimen was 300 scutes and a few vertebrae.  I saw them and yes, he is familiar with these things.  Not to say that he can't be making a mistake, and reiterating, I have not seen the show.  Just saying...

Yes, over dramatization and hype... I saw it int he previews.  

6 minutes ago, jpc said:

I did not see the show, but "the Wyoming group", as you call them, have collected a partial ankylosaur on his place.  Mike does know ankylosaur scutes... his specimen was 300 scutes and a few vertebrae.  I saw them and yes, he is familiar with these things.  Not to say that he can't be making a mistake, and reiterating, I have not seen the show.  Just saying...

Yes, over dramatization and hype... I saw it int he previews.  

It was long , narrow and shaped like a triangle