ID Possible Tooth Root (MAYBE tusk root?)

AshHendrick

Greetings everyone! :) I'm hoping someone might be able to help ID something that is not in the best of condition/shape. It's quite unusual from what I typically see/find here in Eastern NC  - at first I was thinking the root of a whale tooth but it's not like any I've seen/found myself before. So, I'm hoping someone might be able to give direction if this is a tooth root or maybe even a small tusk root, possibly? There is only a tiny bit of enamel present on the tip where the tooth would be and the texture on the "inside" is somewhat similar looking to what I'd see in whale or maybe even a sliver of mastadon tooth but not quite - I tried to get as clear of images as I could but if different angles are needed, just let me know! Any help is greatly apprecaited!

Found: Eastern NC - outside of Greenville - in a River- items commonly found in this same area (within the gravel deposit)/around it are large chunks of whale bone (Ear bone, rib, skull and verts), Great White, Giant White and meg shark teeth, and some shell concretions. I've found nothing indicating there is cretaceous within this small area  to date and cannot recall finding any other mammal material within this location, either. 

IMG_2242.jpg

IMG_2241.jpg

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2245.jpg

IMG_2246.jpg

IMG_2253.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

Hi Ash,

I believe you have a sperm whale tooth here. Good find! :dinothumb:

p.s. I hope you are doing well! We collected together a few years ago at some of the quarries with the NCFC. I'm really missing the quarries now!

• New Members

That’s amazing.is the tooth buried that deep in the jaw? I thought sperm whales had thick hairlike teeth? 

• New Members

Never mind I’m dumb. I was thinking of humo backed and blues. 

Ah, Thanks Rustdee! I am also really missing the quarries! I save all of my pto/vacation time for quarry days and now I'm thinking I might actually have to do some type of normal vacation near the end of the year at this rate, haha! Maybe I'll do a fossil trip somewhere out of state that I normally wouldn't have time for or something! :)