Magnoliaspermum? A form genus?

siteseer

A friend has an odd fossil that appears to be a fruit.  It's from a Miocene coal deposit in Germany.  The tag says Magnoliaspermum sp.  There doesn't seem to be much about this genus on the web though I did find a reference to a species, M. geinitzii.  Is it a form genus for fruits that may be associated with magnolias or is it an extinct genus related to magnolias or something else?  I don't know a lot about fossil plants other than the general history and I don't have a reference for it.

The formation is given as Braunkohle Lignite but "Braunkohle" is the German word for lignite so I think there's a misunderstanding on that one.

Jess  

There's another fruit from the same deposit called Palliopora symplocoides.  I've never heard of that genus either and there doesn't seem to be any discussion of it on the web.  Does anyone know about that one?  It appears some obscure plants come out of that lignite.

Jess

On 7/18/2020 at 11:32 PM, siteseer said:

There's another fruit from the same deposit called Palliopora symplocoides.  I've never heard of that genus either and there doesn't seem to be any discussion of it on the web.  Does anyone know about that one?  It appears some obscure plants come out of that lignite.

Jess

I find hits for Palliopora symplocoides via Google:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Palliopora+symplocoides&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

M. geinitzii probably refers to Myrtophyllum geinitzii Heer. 

I do not find much for Magnoliaspermum.

Maybe @paleoflor has more insight.

Edited by DPS Ammonite
  • I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

"Magnoliaspermum" is a Myricaceid.

Your fossil might be from the (Miocene) Fischer-/Adendorf clay pit(lignite)

The micropyle should be a small hole

"M"was "defined" by Engelhardt in 1870

Palliopora is figured by Kirchheimer in

Palaeontographica Abteilung B Band 090 Lieferung 1-3 (1949), p. 1 - 52

(edited by user)

edit two:

recte:

Pallioporia

• I found this Informative 2

The correct spelling is: Magnoliaespermum

Gregor, H.J. 1983
Neue Pflanzenfossilien aus der niederrheinischen Braunkohle. 4: Magnoliaespermum geinitzii (ENGELHARDT) KIRCHHEIMER - eine Myricacee!. Documenta naturae, 13:1-18  PDF

image.thumb.png.1f1f8d2fd34c38de97e57cb8a2c4537b.png

text from:

Kirchheimer, F. 1939. Über die botanische Zugehörigkeit weiterer Frucht-und Samenreste, besonders aus den Braunkohlenschichten Sachsens. Planta, 29(2):262-278

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thanks everybody.

Thanks for the correction on the spelling and the PDF, Scott.  I didn't get the extra "e" from my friend.  I found some German text that helps.

Jess

23 hours ago, doushantuo said:

"Magnoliaspermum" is a Myricaceid.

Your fossil might be from the (Miocene) Fischer-/Adendorf clay pit(lignite)

The micropyle should be a small hole

"M"was "defined" by Engelhardt in 1870

Palliopora is figured by Kirchheimer in

Palaeontographica Abteilung B Band 090 Lieferung 1-3 (1949), p. 1 - 52

(edited by user)

edit two:

recte:

Pallioporia

One of the references had Magnoliaespermum in the magnolia family and another said it should be moved to the Myricaceae.  It appears to be an extinct genus.

Thanks,

Jess