Palaeogaleus Vincenti?

Notidanodon

Hi guys, I found this tooth recently in unit J of the upnor fm, in herne bay, I was wondering if it was the uncommon. Palaeogaleus Vincenti it’s about 3 mm across

E5BB3C75-21E6-4A2C-BA07-283A2C18A865.jpeg

F3FB7300-6F9C-42E1-BF8F-D4AD5374A1FE.jpeg

65BBD317-67AA-4F61-BD2F-9976700BE6E4.jpeg

IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png

In case it helps there are ripples in the cusps on the display side

IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png

On 8/4/2020 at 9:00 AM, will stevenson said:

In case it helps there are ripples in the cusps on the display side

Just to provide a little background, the Upnor Formation is Late Paleocene age.  I have read that some geological terms have been proposed to replace those more familiar with collectors.  When I started collecting, the formation would have been referred to as the Woolwich Bottom Beds.  Will, please correct me if I could be more accurate.  I'm not familiar with the designation, Unit J.

As for the tooth, it's Palaeogaleus and I think it is P. vincenti which is the species known from western Europe and the east coast of the U.S.  In shark terminology the "ripples" are usually called "folds" (the French use their word for folds as well, "plis") or ridges.  The display side is the labial face.

I think P. vincenti is the species that has the more pronounced lateral cusplets like your specimen.

Jess

15 minutes ago, siteseer said:

Just to provide a little background, the Upnor Formation is Late Paleocene age.  I have read that some geological terms have been proposed to replace those more familiar with collectors.  When I started collecting, the formation would have been referred to as the Woolwich Bottom Beds.  Will, please correct me if I could be more accurate.  I'm not familiar with the designation, Unit J.

As for the tooth, it's Palaeogaleus and I think it is P. vincenti which is the species known from western Europe and the east coast of the U.S.  In shark terminology the "ripples" are usually called "folds" (the French use their word for folds as well, "plis") or ridges.  The display side is the labial face.

I think P. vincenti is the species that has the more pronounced lateral cusplets like your specimen.

Jess

Thanks for your help:P the Woolwich bottom bed is the old name, it has been deemed incorrect for a while now as it is a member of the upnor fm which was changed from the Woolwich fm, that member (Woolwich bottom bed)is unit J of the series present there, the name for Woolwich bottom bed is now Beltinge fish bed ^_^, thanks for your ID, just a question, how do you tell the difference between one of those and a juvenile striatolamia striata

9 hours ago, will stevenson said:

Thanks for your help:P the Woolwich bottom bed is the old name, it has been deemed incorrect for a while now as it is a member of the upnor fm which was changed from the Woolwich fm, that member (Woolwich bottom bed)is unit J of the series present there, the name for Woolwich bottom bed is now Beltinge fish bed ^_^, thanks for your ID, just a question, how do you tell the difference between one of those and a juvenile striatolamia striata

That's a good question because it does look like a sand tiger tooth in general form.  To be a Striatolamia tooth it would have to be a posterior tooth because that genus has a higher, more slender crown in the other jaw positions.  The posterior tooth does not have lateral cusplets like that.  It's more like the crown is more expanded at its base with either a cusplet on one side being a barely differentiated bump or a relatively well-developed and pointed outgrowth of the enameloid. 

You might photos that would be of more help here on the forum or elsewhere on the web.

Jess

• I found this Informative 1