North Texas Help

ns145

• New Members

I have been searching the Fort Worth area for months hoping to find an echinoid. I have found hundreds of heart urchins and quite a few ammonites, but I would like to find one of the "fancy", or "bumpy" echinoids. Would anyone be able to suggest an area within a 3 hour drive of the Dallas area where I would have a decent chance of finding one?

Thanks for your help.

Check the Texas Geological Atlas for the Cretaceous, Walnut and Glen Rose formations. Start your hunt somewhere in those areas keeping in mind that some places will produce and others will not. Good luck!

Fancy echinoid? Sounds like my terminology smile.gif

Anyways... like Mike said the Walnut & Glen Rose formations are the best regular producers of those. Glen Rose formation is paper thin west of Fort Worth/Dallas and is a waste of time so you'd have to start looking much further south. I personally have no Glen Rose formation sites yet. I've had decent luck with Walnut formation but it means scrounging every little road cut and housing development around.

Edited by LanceHall

• New Members

Mike, thanks for the tip. I have been primarily looking in the Glen Rose formation with no luck. I will try the Walnut formation next time. It is just a matter of finding a place that is not private land.

Lance, I will probably try a location farther to the south over Christmas, any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks again

Mike, thanks for the tip. I have been primarily looking in the Glen Rose formation with no luck. I will try the Walnut formation next time. It is just a matter of finding a place that is not private land.

Lance, I will probably try a location farther to the south over Christmas, any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks again

Sorry, no specific spots.

But, I bet there's some great unexplored territory out there. We don't get very far south of Johnson county anyways. A technique you may try is find who in your circle of friends/family has access to deer leases out in the country.

Edited by LanceHall

Sorry, no specific spots.

But, I bet there's some great unexplored territory out there. We don't get very far south of Johnson county anyways. A technique you may try is find who in your circle of friends/family has access to deer leases out in the country.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dont give away my secret craigs list deer lease secret hunting spot info! Sheesh!

But in all honesty they are few and far between but you can find them. I found this guy off of Bursy Road in North Richland Hills a few weeks ago. They can be found but they are rare right within the city.

ech.jpg

A worn Phyllacanthus??

Tomorrow/Saturday-ish I will get macros of everything up.

Yes, Phyllacanthus fits the bill here.

Lance, I will PM you with the details of the spot.