Is this a sea urchin spine? And I have a few other questions

Jurassicz1

So I have seen many pictures of sea urchin spines and it looks like one.

And I really cannot id species and stuff that I'm not sure are fossils.

Is there a Good website or book?

Many times I cant find anything to make a id of a species or fossil.  Many of you guys know how to id fossils. How did u guys learn?

I have alot of maybes and many fossils to id the species.

I also get confused with flint fossils some I find have holes that are the same size and depth -  maybe sponge? 

But cant find anything online. And the fossils near me are at beaches.

The ones from the beaches in my town are from Denmark (I live in Sweden) so I dont really know the age can you also id that?  

Any help i will happily take :)

20200904_142201.thumb.jpg.cc10524881487cf533999e8c98d7c50a.jpg

I would have to say no, based on this picture. 

20200904_142201.jpg.057d083fd83dcf64a2b95dd48f2c4df3.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Is this a sea urchin spine? And I have a few other questions

To answer your questions : 

This is the best website. 

Fifty years experience and still learning every day.

Maybe sponge, post us photos.

Look at a geological map of the area of Denmark in question. 

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Another answer is: This website is better than most others. It helps if it's something you are interested in. You don't have to be interested in all of it, but you'll learn the areas outside of your interest anyway. There's no way to avoid it. It happens through exposure.

65 years of reading books and looking at illustrations. Visiting the Field Museum of Natural history as often as possible. Collecting primarily in NE Illinois and on any trip to other cities and states. Constantly looking at the ground as you walk will help. Your local library probably has enough material to keep you reading for a very long time. If you're not 70 years old then you have the time. The sooner you start the more you will learn.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 4.9.2020 at 5:05 PM, Jurassicz said:

1) Is there a Good website or book?

2) Many times I cant find anything to make a id of a species or fossil.  Many of you guys know how to id fossils. How did u guys learn?

3) I also get confused with flint fossils some I find have holes that are the same size and depth -  maybe sponge? 

4) And the fossils near me are at beaches.

5) The ones from the beaches in my town are from Denmark (I live in Sweden) so I dont really know the age can you also id that?  

Any help i will happily take :)

*I think your questions point mostly to the southern Baltic Sea area, so I try to answer:

1) A lot. Most of them* are german, dutch or danish because we have to deal with all the nice stuff the glaciers of the ice ages have taken from your country and deposited it in our landscape. For english language this forum is (by my personal experience)  the best, but it is very international.

2) Read. Discuss with people knowing more than you do. Read. Go to the field with people more experienced than you, of experienced in other fields of geology. Read. Visit other collections and collectors in your fields of interest. And, not to forget: read**.

3.) You may show picures of your find(s).

4.) At which beaches do you hunt?

5) Sometimes. If you can id the fossil, you usually can id the (rough) age. You have naturally deposited danish material in your swedish hometown? Interesting. Glaciers gone a long time ago may tell another story (because their flow direction goes from sweden to denmark, not opposite?)

**very good books (danish/german) are from Palle Gravesen. And there ist a lot very good literature (some online) in german, depending what do you want to know (Palaeozoic? Cretaceous?). Be more specific and I will be so as well.

And the swedish universities publish a lot of their palaeotologic/geologic B.sc. and M.sc.-thesis (swedish/english) online!

• I found this Informative 1