Cetacean Tooth from the Miocene?

Ludwigia

I found this today at the Early Miocene Burdigalian site and was wondering if this might be a Cetacean tooth. It's missing most of the tip, but I think it's still possible to judge. It's 2cm. long.

4a.jpg.cdffc0f024660404e69d74678cd686e7.jpg4b.jpg.51a84bd3bec7ea320deb53effb92af02.jpg4c.jpg.3da839b29224d0d3ea2152344f0a905d.jpg

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Roger,

Most whale teeth consist of a little (or no) enamel, dentine which has growth rings,  and a covering of cementum which covers the dentine growth rings. See the growth rings on the left of the top tooth.. and all over the 2nd tooth.

You can use a magnifying device on your tooth.  Can you detect any horizontal growth rings.  If yes, it is whale.  If no, it still may be whale but the cementum still covers all the dentine.   Jack

IMG_0347whaletoothribs.jpg.983eb6e31f6ac5b9b2c7daf3751df6d5.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

3 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Roger,

Most whale teeth consist of a little (or no) enamel, dentine which has growth rings,  and a covering of cementum which covers the dentine growth rings. See the growth rings on the left of the top tooth.. and all over the 2nd tooth.

You can use a magnifying device on your tooth.  Can you detect any horizontal growth rings.  If yes, it is whale.  If no, it still may be whale but the cementum still covers all the dentine.   Jack

Yes. That does appear to be the case. Thanks!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/