Kamp Ranch Turonian Squamata/Coniasaur Jaw? & Pycnodont Jaw

LSCHNELLE

What genus or species is this?  Any ideas? I found this small jaw fragment (triangular form - first 5 pics) in the Lower South Bosque Member (Lower Turonian) of Eagle Ford Shale here in Travis County today. I see 7 spots for teeth of which all but one are significantly damaged or worn down. The size is 17mm x 20mm and 10mm tall including jaw. These are the best images I can get with my cell phone. I have found individual 5 to 7 mm tall teeth in this layer also that might fit in this jaw.  Could it be a fish instead?  Maybe Enchodus?  I've also found a pycnodont (last three pics) fish jaw in this layer - slightly smaller sized. 

20200905_151307.jpg

20200905_151246.jpg

20200905_153025.jpg

20200905_151146.jpg

20200905_151323.jpg

20200505_075235.jpg

20200505_075317.jpg

20200505_075258.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

Well, I think I got the answer from Dr. Michael J. Polcyn of SMU.  Thanks!  He thinks that my "possible"squamata jaw is probably instead a Pachyrhizodus premaxilla. Possibly, P. caninus.  Thanks, Dr. Polcyn!

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

• 1 year later...

If you still have the pycnodont jaw, can I see some side angles and close ups of those teeth?

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

I have the pics of a mouth plate from a tiny South Bosque find - see above last three pictures (can't get any better ones). And, I found another jaw fragment with no teeth in the Bouldin Flags member. I'll need to dig up pics of that one.  Is that what you needed? Is it pycnodont? Maybe not. 

4 hours ago, LSCHNELLE said:

I have the pics of a mouth plate from a tiny South Bosque find - see above last three pictures (can't get any better ones). And, I found another jaw fragment with no teeth in the Bouldin Flags member. I'll need to dig up pics of that one.  Is that what you needed? Is it pycnodont? Maybe not. 

Just curious about Pycnodonts in general - that's all. I wanted to compare your find to one of mine, but now that I'm on my computer instead of my phone I can get a better resolution of your existing pictures. Super cool find

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg