Tooth? Claw? Shell?

Matty from Reno

Any help identifying what this might be would be appreciated.  Found in western Nevada near the Reno area.  All of the geology around it is relatively young volcanic rocks,  mostly rhyolite.  But there is about a 6 acre area that appears to be an inlier formation of an older geology.  I found this about 6 inches under ground while looking for some other rocks that were interesting.  It looks similar in color and shape to some dinosaur teeth I have seen.  The swirled nature of the material is unique to anything I have found online.  I will post more pics in the comments. 

20200930_144735.jpg

It looks geologic to me, I don't see any shape that says fossil, I can kind of see a shell shape however it matches the surrounding areas of the rock which has me thinking its all one piece or a part of a much larger rock. Rocks can also be smoothed like that in rivers, or bodies of water or just with weathering. As far as coloring, fossils come in all colors so no matter what rock you find it could probably resemble a color of some fossil. Never the less it is still a cool rock, just unfortunately not a fossil.

• I found this Informative 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

As Darrow stated, this looks like a Lithic Flake..
I've taken the liberty of "Editing" your pictures to show you how it's recognized as a Lithic flake. The picture with the arrow pointing at the side, the arrow shows the area of impact when the larger core piece was struck to dislodge the flake, the dotted lines show the percussion rings or waves of the strike impact.
 The second picture shows what look to be the results of secondary percussion flaking. an attempt to perhaps put an edge on this flake for use as a scraper or such.
The material is an Agate or Jasper type, common in the Great Basin .. 
Not a Fossil, but it is technically an artifact so that is as cool...B)

DEAN ~~~

20200930_144735.thumb.jpg.aae773457d6a045aff6d6f06febc3afe_LI.jpg

20200930_170842.thumb.jpg.888f48ada9d5cb0bae6e087e6e887a11_LI.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Thank you for the feedback on this.  I appreciate it.  And thanks so much flyjunkie for those pics and explanation.  That makes sense.  It was the percussion rings that had me thinking it was something organic like a tooth or shell.   Now that you point that out I'm surprised I didn't see that as well.  I do see a lot of lithic artifacts and debitage on my hikes around western Nevada.  I think the size and smoothness of the percussion maybe threw me off and the swirls in this material is unlike any I've seen before in the jasper and chert like material around here.   Also finding it several inches down in the ground was odd.

Anyhow,  thanks again for the feedback and insight. 

Edited by Matty from Reno
To add another point.