Pictures are worth a thousand words...

JoshDaem

• New Members

This is not a joke, I'm not trying to get attention, I want people to know the truth so that they can form their OWN conclusions based on scientific fact. What I'm presenting has not been tampered with as to fool you. I have kept it minimal. If you are really interested then you must see it in person. I'm near Reserve, NM.

FACT: A HEART CAN BE CRYSTALLIZED.

FIRST IMAGES -

Illustration of heart filled (taken from youtube video "heart anatomy"), then heart emptying, then heart empty). Notice the shape of the heart when emptied. I bet a lot of you didn't know that. I didn't either. The crystal is heavy for it's size. It is about 8.5 inches from top to bottom. 5.5 inches wide. 4.5 inches depth. I just washed it with water and then coated it in mineral oil.

Anatomically correct crystal (amethyst) heart.

What is amethyst made of? Fe3...

Where is Fe3 found? In blood? Yep.

The bottom of the heart is a it should be... the base is where it broke from the diaphragmatic surface and you can see the attachments. I'm could go on and on but I'm just gonna post this and see what happens. Unfortunately the wildfire nearby is obstructing my main interest in obtaining photographs of... something big. Watch for my next post of Mayan (not really sure, meso-american then?) Crystallized artwork

hearshapefilling.jpg.3ee247ace73542fd60ac37d5c3bbad5f.jpg

hearshapefull.jpg

heartshapeempty.jpg

AMVL.jpg

crystalheartleft.jpg

crystalheartfrontleft.jpg

crystalheartbottomfront.jpg

crystalheartfrontright.jpg

crystalheartright.jpg

crystalhearttopright.jpg

crystalhearttop.jpg

crystalhearttopleft.jpg

crystalhearttopfrontcloseup.jpg

crystalheartDiaphragmeticsurface.jpg

13 minutes ago, JoshDaem said:

While I believe it is true differing amounts of Fe3+ can be found in amethyst to contribute to color, I think it is somewhat misleading to say that amethyst is made up of it. Amethyst is a variety of quartz, which has chemical formula SiO2.

20 minutes ago, JoshDaem said:

Anatomically correct crystal (amethyst) heart.

The heart is made out of cardiac muscle, which is soft tissue. The fossilization or crystallization of soft tissue is rare, and preserved hearts are extremely, extremely rare. Almost nonexistent. I don't believe enough sufficient evidence is present to justify that this is a heart, and it appears more so that this is just a mineral without a biological origin. I sense a case of pareidolia.

However, if any of the other members think otherwise, please correct me if I am wrong.

• I found this Informative 9

Nope sorry it’s just a regular geologic crystal rock. That “something big“ wouldn’t happen to be a Hill that resembles a 200’ flying Creature would it? I was just curious as your intro and manner of speech resembles a previous post from recently...

• I found this Informative 7

On this forum --Pictures are worth a thousand words-- but they do not substitute for a true understanding of how minerals form or how fossils are created. The piece you have brought in is a nice specimen of quartz (botryoidal quartz) but not a heart unfortunately. We get visually fooled all the time. 

https://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/sedimentary/images/cone.html

cone_cone.thumb.jpg.092fe8d6cba24602af0d7ede3ab2d9d5.jpg

Cheers,

Brett

Hi,

I am OK with the previous interventions. Quartz is SiO2 formula and in no case Fe3 is part of it. Amethyst is purple quartz (besides I don't see this color on your mineral !) which gets its color by the impurities it contains.

If you’re talking about iron, you should know that iron is a chemical formula called Fe. What is Fe3 ?

And I agree with Randy : this topic and its presentation make me think of another recent topic totally out of place on our forum...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

2 hours ago, JoshDaem said:

This is not a joke, I'm not trying to get attention, I want people to know the truth so that they can form their OWN conclusions based on scientific fact.

Josh, this is a science-based forum where unsupported, extraordinary claims are not entertained.  Please keep this in mind when posting in the future.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Amethyst is a violet variety of quartz. 

Quartz is a hard, crystalline mineral composed of silicon and oxygen atoms. The atoms are linked in a continuous framework of SiO4 silicon–oxygen tetrahedra, with each oxygen being shared between two tetrahedra, giving an overall chemical formula of SiO2. (By profession I am a chemist, but this definition is not mine, but from Wikipedia)

Amethyst is formed hydrothermally at a temperature between 100° and 250° C in cavities of magmatic rocks. Magmatic rock is formed through the cooling and solidification of magma or lava. 

This is not exactly an environment where organic remains are preserved.

• I found this Informative 9

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

11 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

this is a science-based forum

@JohnJ say s it well.  So, let's do a little science.

3 hours ago, JoshDaem said:

FACT: A HEART CAN BE CRYSTALLIZED.

First, hello Josh and welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.

Second, you must understand that just stating something as "fact" is not substantiation of fact.  "Facts" that aren't already recognized as such require extensive research, evidence, peer review, etc . . . and time . . . before they become accepted as "facts".

14 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

extraordinary claims are not entertained

Or as Sagan put it:  Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

1 hour ago, Coco said:

I am OK with the previous interventions. Quartz is SiO2 formula and in no case Fe3 is part of it. Amethyst is purple quartz (besides I don't see this color on your mineral !) which gets its color by the impurities it contains.

If you’re talking about iron, you should know that iron is a chemical formula called Fe. What is Fe3 ?

Amethyst does indeed contain Fe3+; that is the impurity that gives it it's color.  What is Fe3?  Iron (Fe) comes in multiple oxidation states (valences), Fe2+ (ferrous), Fe3+ (ferric), and the less common Fe4+ and Fe6+.  Amethyst derives its color from Fe3+.

2 hours ago, Paleostoric said:

While I believe it is true differing amounts of Fe3+ can be found in amethyst to contribute to color, I think it is somewhat misleading to say that amethyst is made up of it. Amethyst is a variety of quartz, which has chemical formula SiO2.

@Paleostoric is correct.  Amethyst is purple colored quartz.  The purple color comes from the presence of iron (Fe3+) that has been irradiated (naturally*) to give it the purple color.  Light radiation = light purple; heavier radiation = dark purple, brown, or golden (citrine).  [Amertrine, a combination of amethyst and citrine, is a mineral that has various stages of radiation in a single specimen.] 

*Enhancement of color can be accomplished synthetically via irradiation or heating of an amethyst specimen.  Amertrine can even be made in this way.  Buyer beware!

Where is Fe3 found? In blood? Yep.

Well, that's only 1/2 of the blood chemistry story.  Hemoglobin uses iron to carry oxygen to the body.  To quote Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemoglobin#Structure_of_heme :

"[In hemoglobin] the iron ion may be either in the ferrous Fe2+ or in the ferric Fe3+ state, but ferrihemoglobin (methemoglobin) (Fe3+) cannot bind oxygen.[45] In binding, oxygen temporarily and reversibly oxidizes (Fe2+) to (Fe3+) while oxygen temporarily turns into the superoxide ion, thus iron must exist in the +2 oxidation state to bind oxygen. If superoxide ion associated to Fe3+ is protonated, the hemoglobin iron will remain oxidized and incapable of binding oxygen. In such cases, the enzyme methemoglobin reductase will be able to eventually reactivate methemoglobin by reducing the iron center.

But the real point is not the oxidation state of the Fe ion or even the presence of iron in blood and in amethyst, but rather this: 

The fact that Fe is found in amethyst and Fe is found also in blood does nothing to prove that this is a crystallized heart.  Iron is found in a lot of places on the planet, in multiple oxidation states that change as iron chemistry takes place.  Iron is, in fact, one of the most plentiful elements on the planet, ranking as #4 behind oxygen, silicon and aluminum.

7 minutes ago, oilshale said:

Magmatic rock is formed through the cooling and solidification of magma or lava. 

This is not exactly an environment where organic remains are preserved.

The evidence that this is magmatic rock can be seen in the 5th photo of the specimen itself where the external crust of the vug is exposed.  This is not a sedimentary environment.

The shape of the object of interest is at best coincidental and accidental.

3 hours ago, Paleostoric said:

a case of pareidolia.

as @Paleostoric has already stated.

In conclusion, I'd say you have presented absolutely no evidence to support your claim that the above is a crystallized heart, certainly no extraordinary evidence for such an extraordinary claim.

That having been said, you do have a strong imagination and a very nice specimen of quartz. 

Keep looking and start educating yourself regarding accepted scientific principles if you do indeed find fossils and interesting hobby and something you'd like to pursue.  Consider joining Friends of Paleontology in Albuquerque.  [BTW, you live in a beautiful and interesting part of the state that should provide a lot of opportunity for fossil, rock and mineral hunting.]

Good luck in your pursuits and keep coming back. 

• I found this Informative 12

5 hours ago, Randyw said:

Nope sorry it’s just a regular geologic crystal rock. That “something big“ wouldn’t happen to be a Hill that resembles a 200’ flying Creature would it? I was just curious as your intro and manner of speech resembles a previous post from recently...

4 hours ago, Coco said:

And I agree with Randy : this topic and its presentation make me think of another recent topic totally out of place on our forum...

You two are correct... 

• I found this Informative 5

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

@JoshDaem

Please find an artifact forum for your other big find. 

So far, you have brought us a rock outcrop and a chunk of quartz. 

Your pareidolia seems to be getting the best of you.  :unsure: 

We have no need to think outside of some preconceived box, or to entertain non-scientific conjecture and musings. 

This is a Fossil Forum, and we can talk about real fossils, but not flights of fancy. 

We wish you luck in your endeavors. 

Topic locked. 

• I found this Informative 6

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 locked this topic