Nc Kansas Limestone

Ramo

Here are a couple of pictures I took this afternoon, when my wife and I went on a little fossil hunt. We didn't find any vert. stuff, except for this sleeping raccoon, that acted like a fossil. I threw 3 little rocks at him, and he just shrugged. 15 minutes later, we saw him running across the prairie. Even though we didn't find anything, we did enjoy the nice weather. Hope you enjoy the photos. (Wow!! What did I do? Those pictures are gi-normous. I'd be happy to reduce them if someone could explain how.)

post-40-1205976145_thumb.jpg

post-40-1205976267_thumb.jpg

post-40-1205976357_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Here are a couple of pictures I took this afternoon, when my wife and I went on a little fossil hunt. We didn't find any vert. stuff, except for this sleeping raccoon, that acted like a fossil. I threw 3 little rocks at him, and he just shrugged. 15 minutes later, we saw him running across the prairie. Even though we didn't find anything, we did enjoy the nice weather. Hope you enjoy the photos. (Wow!! What did I do? Those pictures are gi-normous. I'd be happy to reduce them if someone could explain how.)

What an amazing looking formation. Do I see another one in background? Are there lots of these? Clearly, Kansas is unknown territory to me.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

The 'coon is awesome. :D That place is preeeetty... And I wouldn't worry with the pics, I think Anson was just experimenting with something.

Wow, talk about wide open country.. love the pics and love the sleeping critter!

Welcome to the forum!

Are those pics from the Monument Rocks area? I spent some time there several years ago just enjoying the weathered chalk rocks. Very senic!!

Micro, I had to go back and look at the photo!! It's just a clam shell. Actually this place is about 200 miles from monument rocks. This is actually Fort Hays Limestone, not chalk. Unfortunately it is not know for having very many vert. fossils at all, but I still have to look!

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold