My Last Few Dives Of 2009

megateeth

To see all of my updates for 2009 in one place go to http://www.megateeth.com/blog.php

12/23

post-1309-12625363596167_thumb.jpgpost-1309-12625363687587_thumb.jpgpost-1309-12625363753356_thumb.jpg

My last day of diving before Christmas was a good one. The water is getting really cold. It was just below 50 today. Still a good day. The Megs all had some chips and the largest was around 4". The nicest find was the largest shark vert I have found. It measures just over 2" across.

12/30

post-1309-12625363852973_thumb.jpg

I got out late and the current was very strong. I dropped down and spent the entire dive trying to dig in and not be swept away by the current. As it was I was only down about a half hour and was dragged throughout the dive. From beginning to end I was dragged about 100 yards downriver. When I got on the boat my boat captain said he could hardly see me when I came up.

12/31

post-1309-1262536396651_thumb.jpgpost-1309-1262536405335_thumb.jpgpost-1309-12625364143113_thumb.jpg

Today I got out and my light was dead. I had to go down with no light. It was pitch black and I could not see any surface light at all. The good thing is when there is no vis I am not distracted looking around old bone beds that I picked over on past dives. I got into what felt like a good spot and dug hard. I found two flawless teeth over 4.5". It reminded me that diging is the way to go even when the vis is good.

Edited by megateeth

You sure that's a shark vert?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i'm not seeing shark vert but i am interested in hearing what others believe it's from. i really like looking at the structure of such things and admiring the efficiency of how they are. in this case, weight and density weren't needed, so apparent structural integrity and tensile strength look to have been achieved through tension "struts" all along the outside of the centrum. cool stuff.

Sorry, I don't know what species that is. I found it on a google image search and it doesn't have much information attached to it.

It bears some resemblance to tuna: http://www.elasmo.com/leecreek/lc_fish/fishSp.html?tgtSp=thu_sp

(but the tuna are elliptical in cross section, yours is more or less circular)

Edited by TourmalineGuy

Just remember one of them is mine so don't lose it! happy.gif

12/31

I found two flawless teeth over 4.5".

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

• 2 weeks later...