I Want This Sink For My House!

Shamalama

Check out this link for a sink basin shaped like an ammonite. The water even spirals through the chambers to the drain at the center!

Click this for link

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

wow. That is pretty cool. To think I've been mesmerized by my new faucets that look like well heads. I have seen some sink counter tops that were made out of fossil bearing limestone that was really cool (and super expensive)

Yeah! Saw that while google image surfing a little while ago...it's AWESOME! :wub:

:mellow:

Maybe if my Dad sees this thread...and I beg him a little....

Nah, nevermind...won't happen. Probably would cost too much change and 'sides...I would be late for the bus every morning because I'd just stand there, staring at the sink every time I had to brush my teeth! ;)

I built this island for my kitchen, and a buddy of mine came up with these "tiles". It, looks like fossils in the rock, but I'm not sure this stuff isn't man-made. Any ideas?

post-40-12627360476832_thumb.jpg

post-40-12627360657525_thumb.jpg

post-40-12627360850344_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I have a nice piece of what they call "Fossil Marble" it is stone with fossils in it which they use for counter tops. I plan on one day making a table which will hold it.

It is great stuff, fossil decor is something I've always liked.

Of course, if you live in the southern hemisphere, you would have to order a sink where the ammonite spirals in the other direction (since the water swirls down the drain in the opposite direction from northern hemisphere sinks).... :rolleyes:

Angus Stydens

Angus Stydens

www.earthrelics.com

Well, it is neat, too bad it is cast concrete and not porcelain. It would be pretty heavy indeed. Thanks for sharing that with us. :D

That fossiliferous marble is used a lot in Europe.

Ok, Imagine that sink... but carved from the Goniatite marble from Morocco. Even better if you carve the ammonite sink shape into a fossil of the same size. Do they get that big in marble?

Bowkill - I wonder if those tiles are man made or not. Did you see them before the install? If they have the pattern on both sides then it's stone. If not you'd see a clay surface on the underside.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I built this island for my kitchen, and a buddy of mine came up with these "tiles". It, looks like fossils in the rock, but I'm not sure this stuff isn't man-made. Any ideas?

Did the back of them look like a regular tile? If so they were probably added to the finish. However, the actual "stuff" could very well be genuine.

Looks cool, btw.....

shamalama..... I like it.... it looks modern yet yas the wonder of the past..... whoever come up with that should be pleased with themselves..... :)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I would opin that the tiles are natural stone, simply because the material is plentiful and easy to work. Also because that is exactly what the real deal looks like, in my experience. I saw the 2 areas that brought this possibility up in those 2 adjacent tiles, but a close look will show you that those 2 areas are not morphologically congruent (that means that the patterns would not line up if you could superimpose them one on the other).

It would be really difficult to find a cephalopod that spiraled inward and down well enough to do a sink drain with via carving and a craft-person would be hard - pressed to produce sufficient quantity to earn a living doing that. Merely finding more than a couple of specimens suitable would be a challenge as well, and I don't think that large ammonites make it through the metamorphic process that turns limestone into marble. They get broken up and 'smeared', as it were.

If one wished a finer display, going to slip - cast porcelain rather than mold cast concrete would open up many more options for the artisan...including fancy stuff like real 24k gold or fine silver luster detailing or embellishment and a much stronger surface for a sink.

LOL at myself. When I saw the topic title I cliked on it thinking that people were talking about the "latest thing" in mud sinks for processing samples for micros! :P

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

LOL at myself. When I saw the topic title I cliked on it thinking that people were talking about the "latest thing" in mud sinks for processing samples for micros! :P

:D

Crabs are out there...

Very nice

If you like fossil decor you should check out our website www.finefossils.com. We deal in all kinds of stuff from the fossil stone that you mention to framed art and sculpture pieces. Tell me what you think. Always good to get the opinion of a fan of fossil decor.

If you like fossil decor you should check out our website www.finefossils.com. We deal in all kinds of stuff from the fossil stone that you mention to framed art and sculpture pieces. Tell me what you think. Always good to get the opinion of a fan of fossil decor.

Love the floor tiles and sinks. A little out of my price range for now, but very unique.

You could always add an ammonite pathway in your garden:

Ammonite Path.

The idea of casting an assortment of ammonites and laying them together to form a path began as a commission for the Lyme Regis Museum. Lyme is a great centre of fossil hunting, and was also the home of Eleanor Coade. Our ammonites suit a variety of applications, from public footpaths to the floors of ornamental pools.

http://www.thomasoncudworth.com/collection_10.asp

Ammonites and laying them together to form a path ist maby good for a Museum. Privat we shold respect old Fossils (Animals).

Or how is this idea, Ammonits to hang on ears booth site, gradually, when ears hang on shoulder, Ammonites have don right, punisht his owwer.

Via the reptile club I still belong to but avoid because of some of the social toiletbowl issues, we get free chuncks of stone from a local granite/marble dealer. They have several kinds of fossiliferous materials for countertops, etc. but you are looking at spending at least $20+ (CDN) per square foot.... amusing that even in a country that is supposedly metric most of us still go by feet, inches, pounds and such. Probably because 32,000 (WHATEVER THE EQUIVALENT IS) millimetres square sound kinda ridiculous

- to be able to lead, you must first refuse to follow

- is that a rock hammer in your pocket, or are you just that happy to see me?

- where are all the unicorn fossils? that stupid troll lied to me!

PS, my avatar is Galeodes arabs, the largest species of solifugid. this one is a baby.....