Jaekelotodus trigonalis ? from Kazakhstan, Mangyshlak,

Brett Breakin' Rocks

Hi There,

I just wanted to confirm that I think (?) these are examples of the large Sand Tiger shark from the Chattian.  Jaekelotodus trigonalis ? ... This time period is not one I'm yet familiar with. Though, it is in a similar area to where the O. auriculatus I just received was found. 

Mangystau (Mangyshlak), Kazakhstan

The preservation in this area is poor but the teeth are much larger. You can see the cusps have been worn down/away

123457819_364239144668972_4317095016660074524_n.thumb.jpg.875cdf884bf4d6b498912b0667507d98.jpg

123305672_1107943892993161_3345471075113573022_n.thumb.jpg.519577390c351f71627e04fdb1fe419b.jpg123192963_3815878551789548_8269906334258044352_n.thumb.jpg.a37ca4f2893b078d3a8449363d6f7f13.jpg

@Al Dente

Cheers,

Brett

its quite hard to tell the difference between species with this tooth form when details arent present, but at the moment the only one that looks somewhat like jaekelotodus is the furthest left one-_-, from my knowledge jaekelotodus tend to have larger roots and a fatter blade, i couldnt find a jaekelotodus trigonalis jaw but here is a robustus one, as you can see, some definitely could be but as i said, without details it is hard,

nice teeth though:)

104547017_3194738427212906_5632060704820676130_o.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png

1 hour ago, will stevenson said:

its quite hard to tell the difference between species with this tooth form when details arent present,

I assumed it was a bit of a long shot ... 

Thanks,

Brett

• I found this Informative 1

The Chattian is late Oligocene which would be too late for Jaekelotodus (generally considered to have died out at the end of the Eocene) although it's possible it could have survived longer in some area of the world.  Those teeth are worn but could be Carcharias cuspidata, the large sand tiger of the Oligocene-Miocene.

Mangyshlak is a general area - a peninsula extending into the Caspian Sea.  It would help us if a more precise locality could be given.  By the Chattian a more advanced C. angustidens rather than C. auriculatus so something is not right there.  

I have seen Oligocene teeth from Perovsky Bay, Aral sea, which is east of there.  Mangyshlak is known for sites of Early, Middle, and Late Eocene age.  It would be interesting to learn more about the locality. 

Jess

7 hours ago, siteseer said:

It would be interesting to learn more about the locality. 

Hi Jess,

I'm still learning about these localities ... these particular teeth are coming from the Krakiya cavity (not sure, it must be a local description) in Mangystau (Mangyshlak), Kazakhstan but a good bit of the information is spotty at best. I'll have to dig some more and see if I can't get a more exact pin for the location so I can determine the age of the deposits.  They could certainly be Eocene since the geologic spread on such a large peninsula is great.

Thanks,

Brett 

• 1 year later...
On 11/4/2020 at 12:15 PM, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Hi all! I can pinpoint the exact location if you like. I live in a city that is 60 km from this place and I have been there many times. I would recommend that you check these teeth for radioactivity. There is a very large uranium deposit nearby, and none of the locals brings a tooth home from this place. The last time I checked the teeth found there, they showed up to 1.2 mzv, which is quite a lot, I think. Outcrops of uranium ore in this place are right on the surface. It is in this place (Hutt) that the shark teeth are very poorly preserved, in other places (Chattian) they are simply magnificent.

19 hours ago, reefer_man_kz said:

I would recommend that you check these teeth for radioactivity.

Yes, on the East Coast most of our marine and terrestrial vertebrate fossils concentrate some amounts of natural radioactive material during the mineralization process. I suspect that is probably the case for most marine fossils such as these. But that may be an over generalization. 

Honestly, I loved this video exploring the radioactive qualities of these fossils. Good thing I don't sleep next to these fossils, or wear them around my neck. :zzzzscratchchin:

• Enjoyed 1

3 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Да, на Восточном побережье большая часть окаменелостей наших морских и наземных позвоночных концентрирует некоторое количество естественного радиоактивного материала в процессе минерализации. Я подозреваю, что это, вероятно, относится к большинству морских окаменелостей, подобных этим. Но это может быть чрезмерным обобщением. 

Честно говоря, мне понравилось это видео, в котором исследуются радиоактивные свойства этих окаменелостей. Хорошо, что я не сплю рядом с этими окаменелостями и не ношу их на шее. :zzzzscratchchin:

I specifically bought a portable radiation detector to check ALL of my findings. Shark teeth and vertebrae of sharks and bony fish have quite high levels of radioactivity in our region. Everything that exceeds the level of 50 micro-roentgen per hour, I leave at the place of discovery. I only take pictures of them with me.