Are there more fossil sites other than kinnekulle in västergötaland sweden?

Jurassicz1

are there any fossil locations in västergötland that is closer to gothenburg? The only one i know is kinnekulle. But its 2 hours away. Any that can be 1 hour or 30 minutes?

Well the whole plateau Kinnekulle is part of is full of fossils. There are other places where similar fossils have been found. But I don't think that's any closer to Göteborg. There's a whole bunch of fossil locations further south but those are further away too I think. Places like Ignaberga or Andrarum are pretty far south.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

You will have to use Google to try to figure this out, I'm afraid. 

We don't have many active members from Sweden, that I am aware of. 

Research is half of the fun of fossil hunting, in my opinion.  :) 

Good luck. 

• I found this Informative 5

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Given that many of us spend thousands of hours poring over old literature, satellite maps, and prospect numerous potential sites in search of ones that are gainful with more misses than hits, don't be surprised if there is a reluctance to simply "give away" fossil-rich locations. You have to put in the work, and if you already are, you just have to put in even more. Some of us travel more than six hours to find new locations.

Besides, finding a fossiliferous spot by your own research and prospecting is worth so much more than simply being told where a spot may be. :hammer01:

• I found this Informative 7

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Given that many of us spend thousands of hours poring over old literature, satellite maps, and prospect numerous potential sites in search of ones that are gainful with more misses than hits, don't be surprised if there is a reluctance to simply "give away" fossil-rich locations. You have to put in the work, and if you already are, you just have to put in even more. Some of us travel more than six hours to find new locations.

Besides, finding a fossiliferous spot by your own research and prospecting is worth so much more than simply being told where a spot may be. :hammer01:

Oh ok so find new sites? Thing is the glaciers that destroyed alot of fossils leaving igneous rocks but i sometimes find flint in streams. Is it just brought by the glaciers or is There a chance that its a spot that everyone has missed?

58 minutes ago, Jurassicz said:

Oh ok so find new sites? Thing is the glaciers that destroyed alot of fossils leaving igneous rocks but i sometimes find flint in streams. Is it just brought by the glaciers or is There a chance that its a spot that everyone has missed?

Most of us look at literature about our areas, and try to find the sites described. Sometimes, it is possible to predict where those sites will outcrop in an area. 

So yes, you either find new sites that have not been discovered or noted, or travel to areas which have fossils available. 

The fact that we are unfamiliar with your area, and there are not many Swedes here on the Forum, leaves us unable to assist you, so you will have to assist yourself by doing more research, joining a fossil club in your area, or travelling to fossiliferous places.  :shrug:

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

The fact that we are unfamiliar with your area, and there are not many Swedes here on the Forum, leaves us unable to assist you, so you will have to assist yourself by doing more research, joining a fossil club in your area, or travelling to fossiliferous places.  :shrug:

Well, I'm half Swedish and have been there many times. I just don't think there are too many other good fossil locations near Kinnekulle besides what I already mentioned.

I know of a whole bunch of good stuff in Skåne/Scania. But that's further away from Göteborg.

I'm not sure if you're able to get these books. But I got these locally:

Geologiska Sevärdheter i Skåne (Geologic sightseeing in Scania) books 1 and 2 by Leif Carserud. From 1994.

These books include everything from fossil locations to cool rock formations and caves. I think I bought these at the cave of Tykarp. There was a small shop there where they sold some fossils from Ignaberga, which is near there and these books.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

There are good books by Palle Gravesen about fossil collecting/sites in southern scandinavia available in german and in danish, both good from a collectors view and not only hardcore-scientific.

But sweden has thighten up the collecting possibilities at many locations, esp. at Oeland, Gotland and Kinnekulle during the last decade.