Morocops ovatus or morocops granulops or what?

Max10

Hi everybody!

Today i want to kindly ask you help for the correct ID of this trilobite.

My choice is Morocops ovatus but obviously i prefer to listen the ideas of experts (@piranha @Kane @Tidgy's Dad  and more).

I'm thankful to everyone who want to participate at the topic ;)

Here are the info:

Origin: Jbel Zguilma (Foum Zguid), near Alnif, Morocco

Lenght: 5.5 cm / 2.16 inches

The trilobite is not in my hands, the photos are from the seller.

Thanks and have a wonderful weekend! :)

2126c0f3-c716-4664-aaa6-d52a36b314e3.jpg

327697af-3d78-4b85-8df5-a8a315e91793.jpg

d6b58028-3f8f-4c0b-9496-03a431f126c0.jpg

f29971a8-a7c8-4eaf-9168-bee3f98a2f75.jpg

IMG-20201114-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20201114-WA0010.jpg

Hi, you have a nice specimen.

I've checked with images on the net and the lenses and the number of rachidial segments seem to match, but i'm not expert at all, so, let's wait for their opinion.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

The key distinguishing features, according to Patrice Lebrun (Fossils of Morocco: Volume 1: Emblematic localities from the Paleozoic of the Anti-Atlas, Les Editions du Piat, 2018): 

Morocops granulops is characterised by large conical tubercles and a distinct row of small tubercles along the base of the visual surface

Morocops ovatus (named because of its ovoid tubercles on the occipital and thoracic rings).

The difference in eye lenses/files are the following:

image.png.a6dcdba3d4a6d1be4d58357e06cb7c

Our own @piranha provides some helpful article links in another thread to distinguish the two: 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

3 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

Hi, you have a nice specimen.

I've checked with images on the net and the lenses and the number of rachidial segments seem to match, but i'm not expert at all, so, let's wait for their opinion.

Hi fifbrindacier!

Thanks for your kind answer :)

The fossil is not mine (yet), the photos are from the seller.

I'm pretty sure it's a Morocops ovatus but i want to wait the opinion of someone more expert than me...

3 hours ago, Kane said:

The key distinguishing features, according to Patrice Lebrun (Fossils of Morocco: Volume 1: Emblematic localities from the Paleozoic of the Anti-Atlas, Les Editions du Piat, 2018): 

Morocops granulops is characterised by large conical tubercles and a distinct row of small tubercles along the base of the visual surface

Morocops ovatus (named because of its ovoid tubercles on the occipital and thoracic rings).

Hi Kane!

Thanks for your interest ;)

Yeah, i've already read the piranha's topic and i compared the eye lens diagram before writing my topic and that's what brings me to think about a M.ovatus...but at the same time, seems to be present "a distinct row of small tubercles along the base of the visual surface" and i cannot see "ovoid tubercles on the occipital and thoracic rings"...so it seems to me having features of both species...what the species that is more precise for ID this specimen in your opinion? :)