Some New Zealand teeth, please help!

Notidanodon

@siteseerIf you’ll copy Cappetta’s sentence, I’ll tell you exactly what he means.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

9 hours ago, siteseer said:

Hi Will,

I'm sorry for the delay.  I keep looking at that tooth.  Is it chipped toward the tip on the mesial edge?  Yes, the rule is a tooth like that with an unserrated mesial edge and a narrower cusp would be Deania especially if characters of the root cannot be examined as is usually the case.  From what I've read, Centrophorus can be weakly serrated or unserrated but Cappetta (2012) is unclear because he says "straight" though I think he means "smooth."  Deania tends to be smaller, flatter, and with a narrower root.  I can see going with Deania for that tooth though it might still be Centrophorius.  

Jess

Thanks for the help, I’ll check this evening if it has serrations at the tip but I think it’s just chips :) 

IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png

16 hours ago, Coco said:

@siteseerIf you’ll copy Cappetta’s sentence, I’ll tell you exactly what he means.

Coco

Hi Coco,

Thanks.  Unfortunately, I have only the English translation of what he said.  I need to try to find a paper in which he discusses Deania in French.  His English is very good but sometimes the translation seems to be missing something.  In some ways translating scientific papers is easier than a novel because the terms are often very specific

Jess

Hi,

7 hours ago, siteseer said:

Hi Coco,

Thanks.  Unfortunately, I have only the English translation of what he said.  I need to try to find a paper in which he discusses Deania in French.  His English is very good but sometimes the translation seems to be missing something.  In some ways translating scientific papers is easier than a novel because the terms are often very specific

Jess

@siteseer Do you have the names of all the authors, the full title and the year of publication of the article if it exists in French (classified as such in my files)? I have a number of his publications.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

On 5/14/2021 at 11:54 PM, Coco said:

Hi,

@siteseer Do you have the names of all the authors, the full title and the year of publication of the article if it exists in French (classified as such in my files)? I have a number of his publications.

Coco

I will look through my papers too.  I have several of his articles and his Handbook from 1987 (Chondrichthyes II).

Jess

@siteseer
There are no serrations, here are some better pics

thanks for your help :) 

EA6E4C5E-4E1A-4A1A-B423-1FDAF882BD10.jpeg

6969D0AB-D2B1-4C0A-A21F-BA6019B5F0F1.jpeg

2C95D3E7-8E74-46A1-9CFD-07C21E110221.jpeg

Edited by will stevenson

IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png