Top Trilo

I was looking at Triassic animals and the strange longisquama. I have only seen one image of a fossilized specimen, is there only one found? The things on its back I've also seen pits pictured two ways, either wings or coming out of its back straight up. Do we know enough so both are technically valid? Most interpretations I've seen have seven of the spikes but I counted eight. How many are there? Attached are pictures of the only specimen that came up, what I believe is the only bones found and two ways it has been made to look.

Longisquama - Wikipedia

Longisquama | Fossil Wiki | FandomLongisquama

This image says the display kind of like dimetrodon is the most likely one.

image.jpeg

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

I think the fossil image you have posted is a reproduction. 

This is the original, I believe:

Longisquama2PIN.jpg      fossil_h.jpg

Here are some potentially helpful links:  LINK 1    LINK 2    LINK 3

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks Tim thats really helpful

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

From what I am able to remember there are multiple specimens, but the type specimen is the most complete and the other ones that were found were partial pieces of the spikes.  The type specimen is a positive and negative of the animal, and this is a controversial prehistoric reptile. this is a good video on the topic I think that explains the animal decently well.  I hope this also helps.

• I found this Informative 2