Tully Monster preservation question

rkfrace

Hello all. Does anybody know the best way to preserve a 'Tully monster' specimen. I recall once reading that the surface often needs to be coated with a preservative against oxidizing, etc. One of my specimens has a tiny bit of red on the one eye, which I don't recall being there last year. Please see photos; advice deeply appreciated.

IMG_7730.JPG

IMG_7731.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

7 hours ago, connorp said:

No treatment or preservative is needed. Mazon Creek nodules won't rust. Nice Tully!

Thank you very much for your help, connorp.  One of these days, I hope to get a complete Tully specimen.  Currently, of my two nicest specimens, one ALMOST have the complete claw, and the other is...well, hard to tell (that one has a wonderfully preserved tail, BUT I can't tell what the heck is going on with the upper portion; the eye bar is hard to distinguish, and it looks like part of the neck or something is folded underneath the same area, but I can't make sense of it).  I've attached photos FWIW [the specimen that confuses me is in the first two images]:  

Tully, 17 cm, 1.jpg

Tully, 17 cm, 2.jpg

Tully, 12 cm, 1.jpg

Tully, 12 cm, 3.jpg

Tully, 12 cm, 4.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Nice Tullies!

I have not heard of Mazon specimens deteriorating before, so I can't explain the red spot... Maybe there was a small mineral inclusion that has begun to rust? I don't think the rock itself has enough iron content to rust any more than it already has.

• I found this Informative 3

• 2 weeks later...

Those are amazing tullys!

In terms of red spots, I've gotten some when I put the concretion halves back together without a paper towel, or anything in between when I store them.  It's the patina being scratched off when the rocks knick each other.

• I found this Informative 2

Those are some nice Tully Monsters indeed! When my Mazon Creek fossils have had rusty smudges like those in your first example, it has usually come from the softer outer rind of another Mazon fossil rubbing against them- usually a little brushing or scrubbing with water clears it up.

• I found this Informative 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.  I just wanted to say THANK YOU very much to each and every person who commented in response to my original post.  Deeply appreciated!