Looking For Help

reddoghorses

Hello, I am new here and have signed up to see if I could possibly get some help. We primarily raise horses (so not too good with old bones) and I am a board member on a forum that is extremely useful for getting and sharing information in regard to horses. I am hoping yours will be so as well. I can tell you that this one is much more sophisticated and better looking than our Halter Board!

My husband and I have 2 fossils that we no longer have room for (I am in the New Year closet/room cleaning tear). One is a fossilized Priscus bison skull. It is from the Pleistocene age and was found in the Rhine River area. It measures 42.1/2" across, 14" floor to horn tip, 7.1/4" floor to crown of skull. It is really cool and does not have any chips or damage but it is BIG.

The other is a Jurassic Era Fossilized Oviraptor Dinosaur Egg cluster from the Gobi desert in Mongolia, China. It has a walnut display case and article about the find. The eggs show a sharp edge where one of the eggs had hatched. When my husband purchased it he was told that it had been on display and was used for study at the University of Kansas.

So my questions are how do I determine their value, where is the best place to market them (we actually have someone interested but do not know how to price them and want to be fair). MANY thanks in advance for any information or help you can give. Laura

post-2674-12632363785915_thumb.jpg

post-2674-12632364215797_thumb.jpg

post-2674-12632364412205_thumb.jpg

post-2674-1263236464059_thumb.jpg

Hello, I am new here and have signed up to see if I could possibly get some help. We primarily raise horses (so not too good with old bones) and I am a board member on a forum that is extremely useful for getting and sharing information in regard to horses. I am hoping yours will be so as well. I can tell you that this one is much more sophisticated and better looking than our Halter Board!

My husband and I have 2 fossils that we no longer have room for (I am in the New Year closet/room cleaning tear). One is a fossilized Priscus bison skull. It is from the Pleistocene age and was found in the Rhine River area. It measures 42.1/2" across, 14" floor to horn tip, 7.1/4" floor to crown of skull. It is really cool and does not have any chips or damage but it is BIG.

The other is a Jurassic Era Fossilized Oviraptor Dinosaur Egg cluster from the Gobi desert in Mongolia, China. It has a walnut display case and article about the find. The eggs show a sharp edge where one of the eggs had hatched. When my husband purchased it he was told that it had been on display and was used for study at the University of Kansas.

So my questions are how do I determine their value, where is the best place to market them (we actually have someone interested but do not know how to price them and want to be fair). MANY thanks in advance for any information or help you can give. Laura

Hi, I'm sure that there will be some people one here that can help you with that. To me, and I could be wrong, the eggs appear to be hadrosaur and not oviraptor. A new grouping is worth a lot more than a single egg. You may want to check out this site and perhaps contact them about your piece. They seem to have been doing it for years.

http://www.stonecompany.com/

Welcome :)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Sorry can't help you with the price but I have to say that bison skull is very sweet looking.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I would say to look at ebay and see what other similar fossils go for. My not be a bad idea to place it on sell with ebay also.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Unfortunately fossils do not have a distinct market value. They are one of those types of specialty goods which the price is mainly determined by who wants to buy it... or who is willing to spend x amount for it.

I agree that the eggs appear to be hadrosaur, I'm also loving that display case.

THANK you and they are very close too. Probably would be in my best interest to take them for a ride to Boulder. Again, thanks and have a GREAT day! Laura

Hi, I'm sure that there will be some people one here that can help you with that. To me, and I could be wrong, the eggs appear to be hadrosaur and not oviraptor. A new grouping is worth a lot more than a single egg. You may want to check out this site and perhaps contact them about your piece. They seem to have been doing it for years.

http://www.stonecompany.com/

Welcome :)

Sorry can't help you with the price but I have to say that bison skull is very sweet looking.

Thanks it is very cool but I don't have the nerve to hang it as it is VERY heavy and I am tired of stubbing my toe on it! Laura

I would say to look at ebay and see what other similar fossils go for. My not be a bad idea to place it on sell with ebay also.

I will check out Ebay and I also see that the Heritage Auction has a bunch of fossils coming up in an auction in Ft Worth but again was not sure if there prices were correct on the eggs (they have a reserve of $7500) and no bison. So I will continue to look here and get myself an educationa nd visit the person in Boulder as suggested. Really appreciate the input. Laura

Unfortunately fossils do not have a distinct market value. They are one of those types of specialty goods which the price is mainly determined by who wants to buy it... or who is willing to spend x amount for it.

I agree that the eggs appear to be hadrosaur, I'm also loving that display case.

That is why I came here...it is like our horses..a particular bloodline is gold to one person and of no use to another...Figured the best way to start is to speak to people that know what they are. I have a feeling I am going to be learning about hadrosaur eggs today! The display case is very nice and a great way to keep them clean and displayed but one has to have the space which I am out of here, hence the cleaning tear I am on. Again thank you very much for the input and info. Laura

I will check out Ebay and I also see that the Heritage Auction has a bunch of fossils coming up in an auction in Ft Worth but again was not sure if there prices were correct on the eggs (they have a reserve of $7500) and no bison. So I will continue to look here and get myself an educationa nd visit the person in Boulder as suggested. Really appreciate the input. Laura

I am not expert on bison, but I do have a little experience with eggs. In my opinion, 7500 is extremely high for hadrosaur eggs. Did they auction mention what type of eggs they were? I usually see prices of single eggs in the 100-250 dollar range depending on quality. Egg clutches are worth more, but I think even a grand would be pushing it on ebay. If you have an auction that can get you more than that.. TAKE IT... :) Individual dealers usually command higher prices so you can try that to get more money. Good Luck.

I am not expert on bison, but I do have a little experience with eggs. In my opinion, 7500 is extremely high for hadrosaur eggs. Did they auction mention what type of eggs they were? I usually see prices of single eggs in the 100-250 dollar range depending on quality. Egg clutches are worth more, but I think even a grand would be pushing it on ebay. If you have an auction that can get you more than that.. TAKE IT... :) Individual dealers usually command higher prices so you can try that to get more money. Good Luck.

Thanks! I thought it was extremely expensive but again, I am not even an amateur...totally clueless is more like it. I have attached the link for you to heritage and these eggs do look different then the ones we have:

http://historical.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=6036&Lot_No=53279

I REALLY appreciate your advice and input~Thanks again, Laura

Here is a scan of a paper I got not too long ago from an estate sale. This previous owner got this paper probably back in 93. I would suggest you contact the company to see what the price is now. ;)

post-671-12634954777505_thumb.jpg

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Thanks! I thought it was extremely expensive but again, I am not even an amateur...totally clueless is more like it. I have attached the link for you to heritage and these eggs do look different then the ones we have:

http://historical.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=6036&Lot_No=53279

I REALLY appreciate your advice and input~Thanks again, Laura

Yes, the eggs in that link are different. That is an oviraptor egg clutch with several eggs. They usually sell for more than hadrosaur eggs especially when the "nest" shape is preserved like that.

Here is a scan of a paper I got not too long ago from an estate sale. This previous owner got this paper probably back in 93. I would suggest you contact the company to see what the price is now. ;)

post-671-12634954777505_thumb.jpg

Man, if those prices are accurate I need to sell some eggs... :) My five egg clutch was way way wayyyyyyy less than any of those prices from a large, reputable dealer who even threw in free shipping.

Edited by PaleoPutz

Very neat fossils and valuable too! Welcome to the Forum!!

~Mike

All your fossils are belong to us

post-1313-12635082280325_thumb.jpg

Here is a Oviraptor egg I got for Xmas from my wife. I agree with the Hadrosaurus ID on your clutch.

Great specimens :D

Be true to the reality you create.

Guest Smilodon

Well, since you asked.... I don't deal in Chinese dinosaur eggs - wouldn't touch 'em. However, I have sold a priscus skull with horns just like yours a while back. However, prices on all fossils have jumped in the last few years.

One European dealer has the following two for sale on his website.

post-2027-12635169323835_thumb.jpg post-2027-12635169576303_thumb.jpg

32 inches, 900 euros 30 inches, 1150 euros

Having said that he seems to mark up things by about 33% too much, sometimes much more.

Having said that, your's is the most incredible I have ever seen. I'd offer it retail at maybe 1850 euros = $3,000.

As tfor the dino nest, you are assuming they aren't fake or restored - bad assumption. Just google "dinosaur eggs for sale" there's millions of them - you won't be able to tell if they are real or restored or fake, but you can see what others are asking

Please deposit 2 cents in the slot. :D

Very neat fossils and valuable too! Welcome to the Forum!!

~Mike

Thaks, it is a GREAT site and you are all very helpful! I really appreciate it. Laura

post-1313-12635082280325_thumb.jpg

Here is a Oviraptor egg I got for Xmas from my wife. I agree with the Hadrosaurus ID on your clutch.

Great specimens :D

Very cool! Definitely different than what we have and you all seem to be in agreement. Thank You, Laura

Well, since you asked.... I don't deal in Chinese dinosaur eggs - wouldn't touch 'em. However, I have sold a priscus skull with horns just like yours a while back. However, prices on all fossils have jumped in the last few years.

One European dealer has the following two for sale on his website.

post-2027-12635169323835_thumb.jpg post-2027-12635169576303_thumb.jpg

32 inches, 900 euros 30 inches, 1150 euros

Having said that he seems to mark up things by about 33% too much, sometimes much more.

Having said that, your's is the most incredible I have ever seen. I'd offer it retail at maybe 1850 euros = $3,000.

As tfor the dino nest, you are assuming they aren't fake or restored - bad assumption. Just google "dinosaur eggs for sale" there's millions of them - you won't be able to tell if they are real or restored or fake, but you can see what others are asking

Please deposit 2 cents in the slot. :D

Thanks a BUNCH! I have resolved, after the input here on the site to take the eggs to an expert that is close by. I am thinking they can determine the value, etc and I can get an appraisal and/or a letter of certification of some sort because there also seems to be so many scams out there. Glad you like the skull and again I really do appreciate your input...dog gone 2 cents keeps falling on the floor...we should talk to the monitor about that slot not working, hee hee Laura