What Are Your Favorite Benefits Of Forum Membership?

Uncle Siphuncle

I'll start...

-Seeing what people are finding in TX

-Seeing what people are finding in FL

-Seeing what people are finding in Europe

-Members IDing each others finds

-Silly banter with like minded fossil zealots

-Selling off a few surplus fossils every now and then to Forum members

What keeps y'all coming back?

Edited by danwoehr

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Seeing what people are finding in TX

-Selling Buying a few surplus fossils every now and then from Forum members

The people and the help with ID's Plus I like the different way thing's are interpreted.

O YEA Dan's regular monthly reports and pictures

Edited by Seldom

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

-All the free Shark Teeth pics I could ever want to see!

-Finding out Texas is apparently paved with Echinoids.

-Meeting great people to trade with!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I love this place because:

- I get to see what people find wherever they are! :)

-I get to hang out with likeminded individuals and share info.

- I get to learn more about things I thought I already knew but really didn't ;)and learn about things I didn't know at all.

- It lets me know what is going on in the realm of rockhounds and fossil hunters.

- I'm able to trade/buy fossils I may not of had access to :wub:

- I'm also able to make great contacts and find new hunting buddies! :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

-Learning from veterans of the fossil game

-Being able to see fossils from around the world

-Keeping up with Paleontology breakthroughs

-Learning to prep and seeing people prep

- Hanging out in the chatroom with my fossil buds.

The learning is great

Helping other people

Meeting people from all over

Making friends from all over

The fossils, the fossils :thumbsu:

Edited by grampa dino

One of the best things has honestly been learning some of the areas the people hunt. I will be honest I am not here to poach sites from anyone but being able to figure out different areas that maybe hit a bit harder than others has been very nice. A year ago I had never found a dino bone in my life. Now I have a few verts in my collection and some amazing sharks teeth.

Some of us just need help getting pointed in the right direction ya know? I dont need you to give me your fish, just tell me which direction the river is ha!

Its also been nice to meet some of the amazing folks on the board. All it takes is once for someone to show you what you SHOULD be looking for and bam, you are hot on the trail. I think real world examples are the most impactful thing for us amateur hunters.

This place is my surrogate for the collection I wish I had, and every post I read is another piton I can clip to as I climb the rock wall of discovery.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The biggest benefit for me so far has been to go fossil hunting in South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, Alabama and California, all with other forum members. I've met some really great people here and I've enjoyed the time that I have spent with them. I would fossil hunt with any of them again.

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

If it weren't for this forum I would never have had the chance to meet some of the wonderful people I know call friends and travel this summer, collecting fossils along the way.:D

1. Learning about fossils

2. Making friends and having a chance to socialize a little.

3. Seeing everyone's finds.

4. Seeing fossils from around the world that I would have never had a chance to see.

5. Teaching people how to make snow ice cream.;)

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I'll start...

-Seeing what people are finding in TX

-Selling off a few surplus fossils every now and then to Forum members

All of the above. biggrin.gif

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

No one has come out and said it, but there's a bunch of y'all who can count a desire to share what you know among your reasons for being here. Thank you!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

From a Newbie perspective...I am grateful to this forum... In the +2 months of joining the forum... what I learn was the equivalent of 5yrs on my own.... Quantum leaped in understanding. Learned from others that share common interest in fossils.... excellent resources with regards to books, papers, various links...grateful to the people who post fossil documents.... learned lots about equipment selection, what to buy.. what to avoid....how to prep fossils... one gets clues to potential hunting sites..... exposure of fossil images with various matrix trains the eye to look while in the field... I enjoy fossil ID portion... virtual museum of fossils contributed by the members... a wonderful experience to explore the fossil world and the awe that it inspires within us.... list goes on and on. PL

i just feel bad for the people who are going to formally get educated on this stuff and will probably have to go to school twice as long to unlearn the info they got from me. but i do think my face should be on the obverse of the buffalo quarter.

but i do think my face should be on the obverse of the buffalo quarter.

That's not you?

My answer is pretty much what everyone else said. :)

I like to see what people are finding everywhere.

I have gotten to meet and hunt with some great people, most of whom I would not have met any other way.

Sometimes, I learn something new.

No one has come out and said it, but there's a bunch of y'all who can count a desire to share what you know among your reasons for being here. Thank you!

If I only knew anything... I would love to share it... :) Actually, the only thing I really know about are Okie trilobites (still limited at best). I think I am the only obsessive nut-job so it doesn't come up much.

I have enjoyed a place that has kept the embers glowing under my excitement for fossils.

Interacting with talented people who can hook me up with knowledge and "stuff"

Being peer reviewed by some really knowledgable folks.. ie, If I make a mistake with information someone will surely help fix it

Realizing more and more places where I might be able to find something cool myself

Participating in an interactive encyclopedia of engaging information

And finally, I have enjoyed a place that makes me want to get out and HUNT!

Maybe I will be lucky enough to hunt with some of you loonies some day.... :)