Air Compressor Question

RJB

I have heard both sides of this question but never really gave it much thougt till the other night. I used to let the air out of my compressor every time after I was done using it. Ive heard of fellows who never let the air pressure out unless they intend to get the water out. Im wonder now, now that I have a huge 60 gallon tank if its ok to let the air in and just let the water out once a week or so? I cant find any info on this in the crappy manual that came with it? Thanks

RB

post-171-12635040604772_thumb.jpg

Might be a good idea to get it from the horse's mouth. Did it come with an owner's manual? If not, maybe the manufacturer has a number you can call or a website with info.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Might be a good idea to get it from the horse's mouth. Did it come with an owner's manual? If not, maybe the manufacturer has a number you can call or a website with info.

Manufactured in Mexico. Not sure if thats bad or good? At least is not from china? But yes, the manual does not seem to cover everything?

RB

That's a bigger reservoir than I've ever had to work with, RB, so I do not have reliable advice on draining the tank after each use.

I do leave air in my 80 cubic foot, 3,000 psi, scuba tanks for extended periods; but, that is very dry air in aluminum alloy tanks.

It does seem to me that it may be your air lines and fittings and tools that may be degraded by the unrelenting pressure; but, you may be able to drain the line while keeping pressure in the tank. I know that it is my fittings that have suffered first in my set-up, even with draining the system after shutdown.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I empty the water out once a year. I turn it off after every use but I do not let the air out. If it is a significant amount of time between use, most of the air leak out on its own. This procedure does not cause me any problems. I do have a moisture trap just before the line gets to the equipment.

crinus

I empty the water out once a year. I turn it off after every use but I do not let the air out. If it is a significant amount of time between use, most of the air leak out on its own. This procedure does not cause me any problems. I do have a moisture trap just before the line gets to the equipment.

crinus

Hey Crinus, that sounds like my cup of tea. Thank you so much for the information.

RB

depends on how long you'd like it to work without repair.

enter the first six digits of the model number in the box, get the manual...

link

I guess they are all different. My compressor's manual states that the tank should be emptied after each use. It even gives a specific set of steps on how to do it. I would at least drain the outlet pressure if you decide to keep it full. Like Harry mentioned, that pressure can be torture on the exterior fittings. Good Luck...

I had may 60gl for 5 years and only drained it every 6 months or so no problem, lost it to IKE out side water got it. Replaced it with a 40gl from Sears and it recommended every 2 weeks if used regularly.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

I have an air compressor the same size as yours but a different manufacturer. I used it to run air tools in doing taxidermy work. Mine had a drain on the very bottom like the petcocks found on radiators in cars. I would barely open it at the end of every day so that the moisture would be pushed out but really wouldn't lose much pressure. I have used this method for ten years with no problems.

Hey Crinus, that sounds like my cup of tea. Thank you so much for the information.

RB

Keep in mind that the valve to drain the water will eventually have to be replaced due to corrosion. I have had my compressor for about 20 years and only had to replace it once. The valve is inexpensive and can be purchased just about anywhere. I got my replacement valve at Sears. I think it is standard on all compressors and is designed for quick and easy replacement. At least that is true on brand name compressors. I wouldn't know about Mexican or Chinese compressors.

crinus

You folks are truly a wealth of information. Thanks so much. I went and got myself another shutoff valve and installed that at the tank so that I can shut off the pressure to all the airlines. And the drain on this tank is also on the bottom, so thanks to you guys I now know what im a gunna do. Now all I gotta do is win the lottery so that I can have all the time in the world to prep. That could be difficult?

RB

RJB..... I always leave my tank filled if Im using it every day for a period of time.... and I drain the moisture from inside routinely every other day letting a small amount of air out to do so.....this works for me....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

RJB..... I always leave my tank filled if Im using it every day for a period of time.... and I drain the moisture from inside routinely every other day letting a small amount of air out to do so.....this works for me....

Thanks TD. I did go out and get another valve so I can turn the pressure off at the tank and not have the lines and tools presurized. I have prepped for two days so far and today I will see just how much water has accumulated in the tank. Then its off to the snarge prep races! WoooooooHoooooooooo!!!!!!!!

RB

• 1 month later...

My dad used to be a mechanic for several dealerships many years ago. He would work with 60 gal or more compressors. Also we currently have an 80 gal down in the garage. I only drain the water about once a year or so. There are absolutely no problems caused by this. In fact it saves a bit of money in the long run as you don't have to run that 220 every time you want to run the compressor. I hope this helps.

Just another fossil hunter from Cincinnati, Ohio. I'm a member of the Dry Dredgers. My real name is Adam if anyone's curious :)

It depends on how often you use them. If used extensively (daily, like at an auto shop), once a year should be fine.

But for casual use (couple times a week), I know lots of people who have had their tanks for decades and not drained them. My dad's was drained for the first time ever about a year ago (the electric motor gave out, and we replaced it). There was little moisture in it, and no rust or corrosion was evident. I don't know how old the tank is, but at least 15 years.

It is worth noting that pressure has an effect on chemical reactions (corrosion), and that changes in pressure also change temperature (which affects condensation). Those facts have ramifications, but I'm not sure of the details. Someone care to look up the effects of pressure on (ferrous) chemical reactions?

Although it would make sense that all that would favor large tanks because it simply takes longer to change the pressure in one. In other words, differences in temperature caused by pressure variances would not be as significant because of the increase in time, which would cause temperatures to equalize before they became significant. This would be further helped by the larger surface area, which acts as a giant heat-sink. Again... that only seems logical. I don't know if it actually pans out that way. I'm just thinking out loud here.