Today's North Sulfur River And Post Oak Creek Haul

ShadyW

Quite a good day today, despite the NSR being overrun with families on Spring Break.

First a cute little Mosasaur vertebra, plucked straight from the red clay matrix:

post-166-1206152036_thumb.jpg

It actually has a neat little row of tooth marks down one side, going deep into the bone, but I can't get a good picture of them. They're round holes, but quite small, so I'd guess they're from a predatory fish.

Next, a Mosasaur tooth socket, with the remnants of the tooth still clearly visible:

post-166-1206152168_thumb.jpgpost-166-1206152157_thumb.jpg

And a nice little shark tooth, again straight out of the red zone clay:

post-166-1206152678_thumb.jpg

...and a whole load of other broken/worn Mosasaur bones. A couple I can't identify, so please take a look at my ID requests!

Then off to Post Oak Creek, which is still running really high after the storms earlier this week. Plenty of teeth to be had if you don't mind wading knee deep in a fast-flowing creek.

post-166-1206152378_thumb.jpg

All of which are nothing near as nice as this little beauty that I picked up, still in the matrix:

post-166-1206152468_thumb.jpg

And finally, this very odd bone. I've asked for ID help in another thread, since it's a really nice bone, and not something I expect from a marine vertebrate:

post-166-1206152768_thumb.jpg

All in all, a good haul for the day.

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

geeze looks like you did pretty good!! i like the verts and "toe bone" i think its just me haha i like bone!

looks like fun! i really wouldnt mind finding some teeth and bone....

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.