Gomphothere Ivory Schreger angle?

darrow

Right, I have NO idea what just happened, I just went away for a drink, and I come back, and I have my new username... SPELT WRONG!!! Cmon whoever did this, sheesh... :heartylaugh:

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

Just now, JohnJ said:

Don't fault your skills...it is an Admin function after your initial registration.  ;)

Ah, thank you! I'm guessing you're the admin responsible for my cheeky misspelled name... Nice to meet you, Jon! :default_faint:

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.

3 minutes ago, IsaacTheFossilMan said:

Ah, thank you! I'm guessing you're the admin responsible for my cheeky misspelled name... Nice to meet you, Jon! :default_faint:

...misspelled...poof!

:D

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Just now, JohnJ said:

...misspelled...poof!

:D

Haha, no hard feelings buddy, cheers!

18 hours ago, darrow said:

Unfortunately no Gomphotheres :( .  

post-17588-0-00922900-1456954535.jpg.c57ca1d4ded673f5e6ead9e14c184e36.jpg

If you see, the angle measured by you (135?) is in the realm of mastodon Schreger angle, which clearly exclude mammoth.

There are no publications referring to Gomphothere tusk Schreger lines at this moment, as far as I know. Maybe someone would update the diagram I've posted with new data in the next years.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 2/3/2021 at 3:30 PM, abyssunder said:

If you see, the angle measured by you (135?) is in the realm of mastodon Schreger angle, which clearly exclude mammoth.

There are no publications referring to Gomphothere tusk Schreger lines at this moment, as far as I know. Maybe someone would update the diagram I've posted with new data in the next years.

I do a lot of searching and remember these TFF discussions:

A couple of photos that I have come across the last few days.  This Gomph tusk from PrehistoricFlorida's collection.

Gomph_SouthFloridaSchreger.jpg.1ba44a5eb9fef2e18a5cd60197016892.jpg

and this one off a scientific paper:

IMG_4607.thumb.JPEG.bdb5d708dfdd4caba4a2a37e388541be.JPEG

It is pretty clear that we have reached the correct answer.  Updating this chart may be more difficult.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

3 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

It is pretty clear that we have reached the correct answer.  Updating this chart may be more difficult.

Glad to hear it, and to have been a part of it. May the years bring you less perplexing tusks! I'm sure we will talk again, in some other post :D

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

I do a lot of searching and remember these TFF discussions:

A couple of photos that I have come across the last few days.  This Gomph tusk from PrehistoricFlorida's collection.

Gomph_SouthFloridaSchreger.jpg.1ba44a5eb9fef2e18a5cd60197016892.jpg

and this one off a scientific paper:

IMG_4607.thumb.JPEG.bdb5d708dfdd4caba4a2a37e388541be.JPEG

Thanks @Shellseeker !  I agree this puts Gomphotheriidae somewhere on the right(greater than 90°) side of the chart.  I think the more difficult part would be locating specimens identified to the genus/species level and gathering enough data to put some bounds on the range of angles. 

• As @abyssunder stated earlier the angle I measured on my specimen of ~135° clearly excludes mammoth.  
  • Gomphotheriidae determined to be "somewhere" on the right (greater than 90°) side of the chart.

So I think I can say my specimen is not Mammoth based on Schreger angle being ~135°.

It might be Gomphothere also based on Schreger angle ~135°.

However,  ~135° is well within the range of Mastodon Schreger angles so distinguishing between Gomphothere and Mastodon probably isn't possible with such a small fragment.

post-17588-0-00922900-1456954535.jpg.c57ca1d4ded673f5e6ead9e14c184e36.jpg

1 hour ago, darrow said:

Thanks @Shellseeker !  I agree this puts Gomphotheriidae somewhere on the right(greater than 90°) side of the chart.  I think the more difficult part would be locating specimens identified to the genus/species level and gathering enough data to put some bounds on the range of angles. 

.. unique herringbone pattern that instantly allows even very small fragments to be identify as parts of a tusk..

But we want more, and correctly so...

I am lucky to be in those environments of mammoth, mastodon, and many kinds of Gomphothere.  I would also love to know precisely what it is...

Seems like we need to have an overly industrious paleontology student, take the available data from samples, make the measurements and write a paper ... :headscratch::headscratch::headscratch:... :zen:..... :b_idea: @digit has co_authored a paper (on cookie_cutters, but if you squint , they resemble Mastodons :oO:) and he has recently moved to Gainesville !!!! and has been digging around Gomph bones in Montbrook.

He might have some insights on the difficulties involved...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

4 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

@digit has co_authored a paper (on cookie_cutters, but if you squint , they resemble Mastodons :oO:) and he has recently moved to Gainesville !!!! and has been digging around Gomph bones in Montbrook.

He might have some insights on the difficulties involved...

Sounds interesting. I'll be digging at Montbrook tomorrow (was scheduled to today but it was shifted a day due to soggy weather). Will talk with some of the museum folks to see if there is any interest in closing the knowledge gomph-gap.

Cheers.

-Ken

4 hours ago, digit said:

Sounds interesting. I'll be digging at Montbrook tomorrow (was scheduled to today but it was shifted a day due to soggy weather). Will talk with some of the museum folks to see if there is any interest in closing the knowledge gomph-gap.

Cheers.

-Ken

:default_clap2:Thank you.  I was half kidding, but only half.  I will be curious on what they say..  Jack