New Bird Bones Nz

Dave pom Allen

Hi all just a couple of shots of new fossil petral (wing) bones found yesterday late miocene on another amazing days hunting here in Taranaki nz.

Also a shot of another penguin skull from the same site found a little while ago.

post-1182-12638036169432_thumb.jpg

post-1182-12638038486808_thumb.jpg

post-1182-12638038829481_thumb.jpg

post-1182-1263803974572_thumb.jpg

I really envy you! You have an important site on your hands, and you have the art/science of collecting it all figured out.

By the size, maybe the wing is from a Storm-Petrel?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Holy cow! Nice work Dave! Keep it up, you've found some amazing stuff... Bobby

• 4 months later...

Heres one for all the Bird lovers

Just thought i would share a couple of shots of another Petrel bird fossil i found last week.

I have just started to prep it up, spent 4 hours so far, and keep finding more bones in this concretion.

From the late Miocene - Early Pliocene from my favorite site here in Taranaki New Zealand.

post-1182-028641900 1276410819_thumb.jpg

post-1182-048930000 1276410892_thumb.jpg

Dave,

Your work there really is groundbreaking; odds are that every avian you find has a good chance at being new to science, and so much the better that they are not just isolated bones! The true plague upon paleornithology is that so many "species" have been erected based on single, fragmented bones. Finds like yours have the potential (for a patient researcher) to tie up and consolidate many loose ends.

My hat's off to you!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Dave...... Nice work and also great to see this very unusual material.... It looks like you a very successful collector of this material.... thanks for sharing your finds with us....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Very cool Dave!! Amazing prep on what look to be very fragile bones. It's crazy what damage can be done when you crack a large concretion with a 10lb hammer,lol. Not much of an alternative tho.

Cephalopods rule!!

Heres one for all the Bird lovers

Just thought i would share a couple of shots of another Petrel bird fossil i found last week.

I have just started to prep it up, spent 4 hours so far, and keep finding more bones in this concretion.

From the late Miocene - Early Pliocene from my favorite site here in Taranaki New Zealand.

Just a matter of personal taste, but I think it would look better without the scratch marks. too much like the Moroccan stuff.

Be true to the reality you create.

Just a matter of personal taste, but I think it would look better without the scratch marks. too much like the Moroccan stuff.

Just wait 'til he's done; check his gallery and you'll see where this is going! :)

i have only spent a few hours on this fossil, i will post more photos once i am happy with the work i have done on it.

it is such a slow process with the bones being hollow and only millimeters thick, they are fragile and shatter so easily .

thanks for the positive feedback.

Edited by Dave pom Allen