Pyritized Baculite?

barefootgirl

While I was out at the Sulphur I found this pyritized baculite. Is there any way I can shine this thing up?

post-1082-12638584379119_thumb.jpg

post-1082-12638584482119_thumb.jpg

post-1082-12638585909004_thumb.jpg

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

I think that material may be to porous to polish. Does it look nice when it's wet? Maybe a coating of something that could be polished is an option. If it was mine; I'd leave it. I would only invest in polishing something that would produce spectacular results. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

It actually is pretty wet. It almost looks like it has a fine layer of ammolite on it in places. That might just be result of the pyrite tarnishing though. The top side is a pretty blue and in other places its red, green and yellow.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Very nice! The "ammolite" look may be from part of the shell that is still attached. I've found that warm soapy water and a toothbrush does wonders for pyrite.

Thank you guys!

Alfred North Whithead

Soap and water seems like the best option, it is a beautiful specimen. I'm not sure how polishes react with shell material or pyrite.

I think I will keep it as is then. Thanks guys.;)

Alfred North Whithead

barefootgirl......That looks a pretty big one... nice find, and good to see sutures.... how big do these actually get and what sorts of preservation are of them are there?.....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

barefootgirl......That looks a pretty big one... nice find, and good to see sutures.... how big do these actually get and what sorts of preservation are of them are there?.....

This is the first time I have found a baculite replaced by pyrite. The baculites themselves from this region can get fairly large. Mostly though you just find small black ones that have been replaced by phosphate.

Alfred North Whithead