Where To Buy Prep Your Own Fossils?

Seattleguy

Anyone know locations, websites or people who sell busted up, or still in rock/ needs lots of work fossils? Mostly interested in american oligocene mammals/reptiles or dino material.

Ive been working on a mesohippus skull, and a turtle that have both been alot of fun. I'd like to do more, but Im not near any good collecting sites.

Chris

While I don't have the vert matl you are looking for, if you ever need some u-prep-em Texas echinoids to kill the winter doldrums, gimme a shout - I occasionally unload surplus prepped and unprepped echies, crabs, ammonites etc.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

if you want big projects like skulls and such, i've been recommended this site:

http://www.douglasfossils.com/price.html (oreodonts seem the cheapest)

for smaller projects like fish and more common inverts, im sure some members will be willing to part with a few.

hope this helps!

-emily

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White

• 3 weeks later...

I did a lot of prep-workshops with oligocene material. In-matrix Oreodonts and such are great to work with using air-scribes. Check out Douglass Fossils; start off with Oreodont lower jaw and work up to the uppers.

Chris F

haha yep douglas fossils seems to be the place to go!

i'm contemplating doing one for my independent study but i am unsure. how many hours does it usually take to prep an oreodont skull?

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~ E. B. White