Handy Little Pouch For Specimens

Infidel

As a newcomer, I'm still refining my techniques and tools. I typically carry my pick hammer in one hand, and a screw top container in the other for putting fossils in, with a pack on my back. This is a pain since I have no free hands, can't put fossils in my pockets for fear of damaging them or my phone etc. So I've been thinking I need some type of pouch, draw cord closeable, that can be attached anywhere, and be somewhat soft inside. The perfect thing for this would be chalk bags used in rock climbing, which I have, but they're generally too expensive. Today I found this on a deal site and ordered one, can't beat the price and I think it'll serve it's purpose perfectly. Only $3.95.

sierra trading post

post-2385-12646148692057_thumb.jpg

Take it easy, but take it

infidel..... a small rucksack is a handy bit of kit and gives you both hands free and you can recycle you local newspaper by wrapping your finds in that.....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

A safari or a fly fishing vest works great too. If you search long enough you can find one at a low cost ;) All the pockets come in handy:)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

A safari or a fly fishing vest works great too. If you search long enough you can find one at a low cost ;) All the pockets come in handy:)

To keep my hands free, I use a variety of belt attachments. I have a small handyman's pouch with one hammer loop, that I use for short jaunts. I use an electricians belt with two hammer loops for longer, which also allows for chisels, flags, picks, matches, etc. Fossils are carried in a bucket or back pack. For arrow head hunting, I use a cheap canvas handyman's carrier, similar to a nail apron.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

I use something like the chalk bag -- it has a strap that I hang from my shoulder. I put a mayo / peanut butter plastic jar in it. The top has a small cut it it that will allow me to put shark teeth into it (and I put some water in it to keep them from breaking). So I don't have to take a break, just drop them into the jar and it's unlikely to spill any out even if I drop it. When the teeth are large, I have to open the top of the jar, but that's a good thing!

Found it at the Dollar Store, also a good thing!

Edited by Haddy

I use something like the chalk bag -- it has a strap that I hang from my shoulder. I put a mayo / peanut butter plastic jar in it. The top has a small cut it it that will allow me to put shark teeth into it (and I put some water in it to keep them from breaking). So I don't have to take a break, just drop them into the jar and it's unlikely to spill any out even if I drop it. When the teeth are large, I have to open the top of the jar, but that's a good thing!

Found it at the Dollar Store, also a good thing!

That is a good ideal Sue. :)

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Yeah, some people use those. I tend to bring a few small containers like those cylindrical film canisters packed with cotton for small fragile fossils and at least one small container like an Altoids tin packed with plastic wrapping for somewhat larger ones plus a small box (the smallest size you can get at a baseball card store or a small mailing box) for anything a little bigger. Bring extra padding too - plastic grocery bags or bookstore bags. It all fits in my backpack with my tools.

To keep my hands free, I use a variety of belt attachments. I have a small handyman's pouch with one hammer loop, that I use for short jaunts. I use an electricians belt with two hammer loops for longer, which also allows for chisels, flags, picks, matches, etc. Fossils are carried in a bucket or back pack. For arrow head hunting, I use a cheap canvas handyman's carrier, similar to a nail apron.

Brent Ashcraft

Yeah, the first time I saw people use those handyman's carriers was in Florida. People brought those when they hunted in the phosphate mines and limestone quarries. It is great for places where you wander around and surface collect small shark teeth or sea urchins.