Fossil storage cabinet

hadrosauridae

I finally solved my problem of where to store all my fossils, both waiting prep and prepped but not on display.  My prep lab went from this:

173163191_10219910240126535_8685757563651388650_n.jpg.cb02fe03cd70b0c0ea963dcc2ef6fa5e.jpg

To this.

174205355_10219910240486544_6554920136433018936_n.thumb.jpg.626c0ec50786c20bcf9647ce58a3da3f.jpg

The only bad aspect was size and weight!  This thing is MASSIVE (54 x 41) and stupidly heavy since its all steel.  I do know that regardless of my future fossil storage needs, this thing is never coming out.  Way too much effort to move!

• Enjoyed 2

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/

The map cabinets work good for slabs (especially Green River fish). One recommendation, your 2X4 shelf support should have the support spread over the top. Every time I put load bearing weight on my cabinet the top arches and the top drawer binds going in and out.

• I found this Informative 3

Good point, and part of the final goal.  The 2x4 doesnt have any weight on it, but that doesnt mean it wont sag over time and put pressure on the cabinet.  

I dont even have fossils loaded yet, I'm still looking for a good bottom layer so the flabs and fossils arent scratching up the shelves.

Professional fossil preparation services at Red Dirt Fossils, LLC.  https://reddirtfossils.com/

I would agree with fossilcrazy, the 2x4 didn't look like it was doing the cabinet any good! Nice score anyway, I know those units are expensive.

Lately I've been lining my wooden drawers with cotton quilt batting (gluing them to the drawer bottoms as they tend to slide around otherwise, too) but I'm not sure what you could do with the metal ones. Maybe some sheets of cardboard if you can find some big enough, and to them you could glue some batting or other fabric, and just lay them in there? This is what was done with a wooden unit I bought from a guy on craigslist.. apparently cardboard, cut to fit the drawers, with green felt-like material stuck on, and it looks/works pretty good.

Edited by Wrangellian
  • Enjoyed 1

41 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

I would agree with fossilcrazy, the 2x4 didn't look like it was doing the cabinet any good! .....

Actually, there zeros pressure from the 2x4 on the top of the cabinet atm.  

• 1 month later...

Awesome cabinet! I’ve been keeping my eye out for one for a long time, but haven’t seen anything in my budget. :envy:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

• 3 weeks later...