X-fish Part

Ramo

This is a photo of a part of an X-fish skull. It was found in a "jumble" of bones in the Chalk of W. Kansas. I'm try to figure out what part of the skull this is. Any ideas?

post-40-1206387099_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I don't know what it is but I do know that you guys are real lucky to have that kind of stuff to find out there. Cool!!!!!!! B)B)B)

post-23-1206395455.gif

It's my bone!!!

This is a photo of a part of an X-fish skull. It was found in a "jumble" of bones in the Chalk of W. Kansas. I'm try to figure out what part of the skull this is. Any ideas?

Would you please show the other side?

Thanks

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Here is th other (out?) side of the piece. It must be part of the internal structure of the skull.

post-40-1206399949_thumb.jpg

-Aldo Leopold

Here is th other (out?) side of the piece. It must be part of the internal structure of the skull.

Thanks for the flip-side photo. Unfortunately it doesn't help. What makes you think it's from Xiphactinus?

It was found in a jumble of Xiphactinus bones. Both top jaws, along with both "front" top jaws were there (with all teeth broken off), along with some broken ribs, and a few vertebra.

post-40-1206403168_thumb.jpg

-Aldo Leopold

It was found in a jumble of Xiphactinus bones. Both top jaws, along with both "front" top jaws were there (with all teeth broken off), along with some broken ribs, and a few vertebra.

Good answer! :) Wish I could help you. I agree, looks like a piece of scull to me too, but that's as far as I can go.

You are holding the brain case. The view above is the inside of the mouth. It's flattened dorso-ventrally. (I found one just like it and it took me awhile to figure out what the heck it was!)

• 3 weeks later...

He's exactly right. That is the main part of the brain case. Also looks like part of the fin was maybe on the underside shot. You should clean it out. Looks like it would make an awesome neurocranium. Would love to see the final product, and if you don't want to do it maybe you can send it to me and I will prep it for you lol.

Cliff B)

That silver piece in the box is an excellant example of a very early dental filling, lol. ;)