Sharktooth Hill Virtual Museum

FossilForKids

I have always thought since we have some many interesting collections for such a variety of locations and fauna that a section could be used as a virtual museum for reference. If that is something the forum would chose to do I would like to add some of my Sharktooth Hill Collection as an "exhibit. This post will have several replies to get everything in. We'll start with the big boys......The Megalodon *The first tooth is 4 and 1/4" then 5 and 1/2" and the next two are 5 and 1/4"

post-1292-12656050573602_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12656050866844_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12656051080912_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12656051590906_thumb.jpg

Edited by FossilForKids

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Next Page Makos. Planus, and Snags

*The upper left and Matrix Mako are right at 3 inches. The matrix snag is 1 and 1/2 inches and the four loose ones are 1 and 1/4 inches.

post-1292-12656052354407_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12656053668319_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12656055255182_thumb.jpg

Edited by FossilForKids

Now some of the micro teeth.... Galeorhinus, Basking and dog fish *These were too tiny to measure but they were all photographed under a microscope.

post-1292-1265605614516_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12656056379411_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12656056598278_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12656056922101_thumb.jpg

Edited by FossilForKids

Marine Mammal Teeth

1. Desmostylus molars and an incisor *Incisor is 2 and 1/2"

2. Whale teeth: The skinny ones are Aulophyseter and the bulbous ones are Scaldicetus morphotype

3. Whale Jaw and Aulophyseter teeth *Jaw is 8and 1/2"

4. Allodesmus Teeth * Largest is 4 and 1/2"

5. Small "Small Delphinoid" crown *Taken under a microscope but entire tooth is 1/2"

post-1292-12656059552335_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12656059776653_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12656060274002_thumb.jpg

post-1292-1265606078047_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12656062553294_thumb.jpg

Edited by FossilForKids

Sting ray Crusher plates and barbs, shark verts, Fish Verts, and Drum mouth plates * Shark Verts are 2and 1/2" in diameter.

post-1292-12656063912104_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12656064253066_thumb.jpg

Edited by FossilForKids

Whale Ear Bones and Verts plus sea line flipper bones and verts: *Largest whale vert is about 6 inches tall

post-1292-12656065400183_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12656065768907_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12656066065725_thumb.jpg

Edited by FossilForKids

Sea Shells (rare in Bakersfield) and turtle shells

post-1292-12656067175362_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12656067412791_thumb.jpg

And the unknown......Jaw section and mammal tooth (Tapir?)*Update* It is a desmostylus premolar

post-1292-12656068383017_thumb.jpg

Edited by FossilForKids

Oops! Forgot the Cow Shark. Also to come Tiger, Bramble and many other smaller species of shark.

post-1292-12656070196325_thumb.jpg

THAT IS SOME NICE "junk" ;)

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

well, i'm sure everyone knew that you had an outstanding collection from that area, john, but this is confirmation that you do have a "museum" display full of great stuff. i'm glad we don't have to vote on which of the things we like the most, because that would be a hard one indeed!

Incredible color variation on some of the teeth and interesting bones. They would be more fascinating with a sense of scale. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Incredible color variation on some of the teeth and interesting bones. They would be more fascinating with a sense of scale. :)

Ooops! You're right. I added some sizes in the narrations.

John

Isn't the matrix piece with the shells a negative of a shark vertebrate?

Greatings Jeroen

The orange shell in the matrix actually comes away from the matrix like a rounded roof. It's almost like a large round limpet type shell. It is 3 inches in diameter.

Really fantastic stuff John! I know first hand that you have an incredible collection. Too bad the Cocci is keeping you away from more. I don't know why you don't want to wear a face mask in 100 degree heat!? ;)

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Hey John - nice stuff! Always enjoy seeing marine mammal material on here. Couple things -

The mammal tooth (?tapir) is actually a Desmostylus premolar. If you look, it's still got two individual column-shaped cusps (in cross section).

The "Prosqualodon" teeth in that picture are actually two different types of sperm whale (Physeteridae) teeth. The long, skinny ones are from Aulophyseter morricei. The ones with the bulbous root are from the "Scaldicetus" morphotype - not a real genus, but really a type of tooth possessed by several sperm whale genera in multiple families. As far as "Prosqualodon" goes - Prosqualodon is not known from the Sharktooth Hill Bonebed, nor is it even known from the Northern Hemisphere; it is thus far known only from southern Hemisphere localities, such as Argentina. The BVMNH has mislabeled "Squalodon" errabundus specimens as Prosqualodon, for god-knows-what reason; this taxon is in need of a new genus as it clearly does not belong in Squalodon as Kellogg originally thought; that being said, it is even further divorced from Prosqualodon. Anyway, my point is that the valid taxonomic status of that species is "Squalodon" errabundus (with quotation marks referring to the dubious placement within that genus - where it will reside until someone attempts to publish a paper describing the new material and naming a new genus for errabundus). Sorry to be nitpicky, but it's a good habit to have as a scientist.

The two teeth with the piece of jaw are also Aulophyseter - they are similar to those of Orycterocetus from the Atlantic, and from modern Kogia spp. (dwarf/pygmy sperm whales).

Anyway, nice finds! As I get material published, I'll be putting up a virtual museum of sorts on my personal webpage (independent of my blog). I might in the future make a web page about shark teeth (and marine mammals) from the Santa Margarita Sandstone.

Bobby

Hey John - nice stuff! Always enjoy seeing marine mammal material on here. Couple things -

The mammal tooth (?tapir) is actually a Desmostylus premolar. If you look, it's still got two individual column-shaped cusps (in cross section).

The "Prosqualodon" teeth in that picture are actually two different types of sperm whale (Physeteridae) teeth. The long, skinny ones are from Aulophyseter morricei. The ones with the bulbous root are from the "Scaldicetus" morphotype - not a real genus, but really a type of tooth possessed by several sperm whale genera in multiple families. As far as "Prosqualodon" goes - Prosqualodon is not known from the Sharktooth Hill Bonebed, nor is it even known from the Northern Hemisphere; it is thus far known only from southern Hemisphere localities, such as Argentina. The BVMNH has mislabeled "Squalodon" errabundus specimens as Prosqualodon, for god-knows-what reason; this taxon is in need of a new genus as it clearly does not belong in Squalodon as Kellogg originally thought; that being said, it is even further divorced from Prosqualodon. Anyway, my point is that the valid taxonomic status of that species is "Squalodon" errabundus (with quotation marks referring to the dubious placement within that genus - where it will reside until someone attempts to publish a paper describing the new material and naming a new genus for errabundus). Sorry to be nitpicky, but it's a good habit to have as a scientist.

The two teeth with the piece of jaw are also Aulophyseter - they are similar to those of Orycterocetus from the Atlantic, and from modern Kogia spp. (dwarf/pygmy sperm whales).

Anyway, nice finds! As I get material published, I'll be putting up a virtual museum of sorts on my personal webpage (independent of my blog). I might in the future make a web page about shark teeth (and marine mammals) from the Santa Margarita Sandstone.

Bobby

Thanks Bobby! I will up date the photos now with the proper identification so it's more useful as a virtual museum. I had no idea about the Desmostylus premolar but that definitely makes sense. If you ever want some Marine mammal bones and teeth from STH just let me know.

John

Edited by FossilForKids

Hey FFK,

Wonderful idea, great fossils!!

Thanks Marcel. I am also going to add pictures of some sites and other fossils I have like a sea line axis, astralagus and a very small scapula. I also left out tiger sharks and some other teeth.

John

A few more interesting bones: A Sea Lion atlas, a sea lion astralagus, a small scapula? and some type of unknown limb bone.

post-1292-12657789428396_thumb.jpg

And of course we can't forget the matrix pieces:

1. A concretion with a spinal section from a juvenile Baleen whale and accompanying Meg

2. A white vert with Mako attached

3. A nice 3+ inch Aulophyseter Tooth

4. A large Planus on a piece of rib

5. A 3 and 3/4 meg with a colorful planus in matrix

post-1292-12657789987579_thumb.jpg

post-1292-1265779016961_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12657790352553_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12657790661694_thumb.jpg

post-1292-12657791480435_thumb.jpg