Paleo Trivia

Guest Smilodon

Guest Smilodon

Question:

What genus of prehistoric large land mammal is exceeded only by hominids/early modern humans in terms of geographic distribution in the fossil record?

Only hint I will give is;

Boy will you be surprised. :D

The genus panthera? Living en lived on 5 continents...

When one tugs at a single thing in nature; he finds it is attached to the rest of the world.

-- John Muir

Guest Smilodon

Hey, It's getting harder and harder to stump you guys. I pm'ed 32 last night to notify him of his insanely (self acknowledged) wild guess being correct but I wanted to see if some others might actually know the answer.

I guess 32 gets the official "Attaboy" for being firstest with the correctest. But Smaug, I have to award you with the runnerup prize of a box of rocks because you actually knew!

Now to the story. Yes, Panthera fossils have been found on 5 continents - Africa, Europe, Asia, North America, And South America. I could have actually asked, what species, as well. Panthera includes jaguars, leopards, and tigers, but I would be correct in just referring to lions (Panthera leo) but I didn't want to get involved with the whole subspecies thing.

I end with this quote:

"Sabertooths come and go, but the lion survives."

Don Miller

By the way, Nick, how about guessing the numbers for this week's Powerball drawing. :P

Edited by Smilodon

Hey, It's getting harder and harder to stump you guys. I pm'ed 32 last night to notify him of his insanely (self acknowledged) wild guess being correct but I wanted to see if some others might actually know the answer.

I guess 32 gets the official "Attaboy" for being firstest with the correctest. But Smaug, I have to award you with the runnerup prize of a box of rocks because you actually knew!

Now to the story. Yes, Panthera fossils have been found on 5 continents - Africa, Europe, Asia, North America, And South America. I could have actually asked, what species, as well. Panthera includes jaguars, leopards, and tigers, but I would be correct in just referring to lions (Panthera leo) but I didn't want to get involved with the whole subspecies thing.

I end with this quote:

"Sabertooths come and go, but the lion survives."

Don Miller

By the way, Nick, how about guessing the numbers for this week's Powerball drawing. :P

The advantage of extinction is you don't have to worry about psssssssed off sabrekitties... ;)

Be true to the reality you create.