What are the differences between Myledaphus and Pseudohypolophus?

readinghiker

Good day, all!  Can anyone tell me the differences between Myledaphus and Pseudohypolophus?

All responses will be greatly appreciated!

Not an expert on these but I was reading about them recently in a paper so this might help.

From "Chondrichthyan and Osteichthyan Paleofaunas from the Cretaceous (Late Maastrichtian) Fox Hills Formation of North Dakota, USA: Paleoecology, Paleogeography, and Extinction" by John W. Hoganson, J. Mark Erickson, and F. D. Holland, Jr. 2019.

"Remarks.—Teeth of Myledaphus are easily recognizable because they are highly robust, have a hexagonal occlusal surface and possess “distinctive” vertical wrinkles on the labial, lingual, and marginal crown faces. "

Pseudohypolophus seem generally less robust, are rhomboidal to hexagon shaped, and lack the distinctive wrinkles.

Untitled.png.f094c4ee4fad7893388c3bb1fb5e53d1.png

hoganson2.png.b201316e5eb978a349eac2d277d99617.png

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, readinghiker said:

Good day, all!  Can anyone tell me the differences between Myledaphus and Pseudohypolophus?

All responses will be greatly appreciated!

I was just putting together a reply when Thomas.Dodson posted.  Yes, the vertical wrinkles (=folds) would separate them.  Myledaphus also has a transverse ridge across the biting surface with some wrinkling there as well and the root is generally high as opposed to the low root of Pseudohypolophus which would separate them as well in the case of the crown being worn down.

Jess