Scotts Valley Ca Fossil Sites

jsw

So it looks like I'll be down in Scotts Valley, CA in a couple months and I definately plan on getting some fossil collecting time in. I know of the Capitola Beach site as well as the sites off of Lockhart Gulch Road and Bean Creek Road, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any more good collecting sites in the area that are accessible to the public. I know there are several old sand quarries in the area but I don't know if you can get into them. Thanks.

- Josh

I was there today @ Lockhart Gulch rd. and I saw everything fenced in with menacing signs stating 24 hour surveillance & I write down all lic. plate numbers.

Deborah

Hey JW. That scottsvalley area was changing fast back when I used to hunt there. Simply too many people. A few years before I started a mammoth skull was found in that little creek and brought a lot of unwanted bone seekers. When I stopped hunting there, one tooth site was built over by a storage unit place adn the guy who gave me permission to hunt another site died and I wondered how long it would be before that site was bought and posted? I would stay with the sites you mention, hope for the sand to be gone at capitola and you can always go check out both sides of the big wooden stairs that the surfers use to get down to the beach at the end of 41st street. I used to find some very nice stuff there, including crabs. Good luck

RB

Yes, it really is a shame all of the development going on in the area. My family owns a cabin in the mountains outside of Felton near Mt. Hermon, so I have been going there since I was born. Unfortunately, I missed out on a lot of collecting time since I had no idea that you could find fossils there until a couple years ago. Anyways, thanks for the replies. I'll probably do a little looking around myself. My dad knows that area well. Thanks again.

- Josh