quam_fossilium

Hello all!  First, let me say I am a relatively new fossil collector and new to this forum.  I am a biologist and typically study living things, so please don't throw me out!  :heartylaugh:

I recently purchased a Keichousaurus hui from another collector but when it arrived the specimen was damaged.  It appears to have broken along 2 previously repaired cracks in the matrix.  I would like to repair this specimen or perhaps more ideally, have it repaired by someone experienced.  Can anyone point me toward a suitable resource for proper guidance, or an experienced collector or professional who can repair this specimen?

Any assistance you can offer will be much appreciated!

IMG_0108.jpg.061fa1305afebb44f302f800fdba6840.jpgIMG_0109.jpg.e3c7fab7933c3c7303bb6f6ad22b1f8a.jpg

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

This looks very nice, congrats!

Its a pity that it was not packed properly. Those slabs always need some sturdy boards on both sides. 

However, its a clear break and could be easily repaired. Have any tiny pieces of bone fallen off? Please keep them!

I will not give more advice than that ;). Others surely will do!

Franz Bernhard

This is an easy fix.  Glue the two pieces together with the thicker viscosity super glue and clamp lightly.  After 24 hours you can mix of a small amount of 2 part putty with some powder colorant and fix the bones, then more 2 part putty for the crack in the rock.  Shape the putty for the crack and then get it wet, press in some powdered rock (from the bottom or sides of the slab) very carefully and then let cure.  Easy as that.

RB

Here you can see all the cracks before going on the attack.  Pay attention to the one going down the middle. 

Ray1A.JPG.46fd3671bcdec2ebb0e6ba7f1f977c37.JPG

The crack going down the middle and through the fish I had to use 3 different mixes of 2 part putty along with wetting parts and adding some powdered rock to help blend in.  The hairline cracks i did not bother with.

Ray1B.JPG.8522d0d1f0fecab39ab5619c97414fd3.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Just too add to Ron’s brilliant advice is do not add to much glue to the brake . It is the clamping that gives it strength . I use tooth picks to spread the glue if it blobs out. Take you time. Good luck Bobby 

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you all so much for your input.  The example shown above gives me confidence that I may be able to repair this specimen myself.  I kept all the tiny bone fragments, now to see if I can fit this delicate puzzle back together.

• I found this Informative 1

If it was previously repaired and come apart again, I would expect there will be some dried glue along both sides of the break, and if you just glue it back together again, it won't fit tightly. You might need to pick away those bits of glue first if you see any? so you have clean surfaces to reglue.

Edited by Wrangellian
  • I Agree 1